That time of year

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
It seems like it came so fast. Spring is now fully underway and with the ample amounts of rain this year, overgrowth in the woods is coming in fast, like a jungle. In just a weeks time I noticed it changed a lot. Bottle hunting has so many variables to deal with in this time of year. High temperatures, humidity, bees, poison ivy, snakes, tick bites, thorn bushes, heavy cover obscuring bottles. Almost time to take the break from it again until fall arrives. Does anyone else feel like this too?

RCO

Reaction score
not really , feels like winter just ended here , no plant / leaves growing in the bush yet but will change rapidly in the next few weeks

I did see one snake though , a garter snake and it really hissed / was annoyed at me for some reason

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I've got the opposite problem up here, no undergrowth yet just massive amounts of water everywhere and more rain in the forecast. We've still got several neighbourhoods under water. I do worry about the ticks once they come out though, they were never much of a problem in this area until the last couple years but the populations have recently just exploded. Still not used to checking for them, and it makes me more hesitant to head into densely forested areas.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Sounds like there are at least a few advantages to living in Canada. A longer season to find bottles. Sorry to hear of the flooding. I got Lyme disease last year so the ticks worry me the most.

hemihampton

Reaction score
It seems like it came so fast. Spring is now fully underway and with the ample amounts of rain this year, overgrowth in the woods is coming in fast, like a jungle. In just a weeks time I noticed it changed a lot. Bottle hunting has so many variables to deal with in this time of year. High temperatures, humidity, bees, poison ivy, snakes, tick bites, thorn bushes, heavy cover obscuring bottles. Almost time to take the break from it again until fall arrives. Does anyone else feel like this too?

Yes, I feel the exact same way every year. Heavy rains here in Detroit Area with my Basement Flooded & many others flooded also. The bad thing about Fall is all the Hunters roaming the Woods. LEON.

Lori Lyons

Reaction score
I've quit for the season. Too many young snakes dug out and shoved out og the way....poison ivy on both legs and hands ...and mosquitoes. Not to mention all the turjey hunters. Done till dry season at least. August or sept.

RCO

Reaction score
Sounds like there are at least a few advantages to living in Canada. A longer season to find bottles. Sorry to hear of the flooding. I got Lyme disease last year so the ticks worry me the most.

not necessary a longer season ( as we lose so many months from the winter ) , maybe just a bit later when compared to southern US .
I generally start swimming by late June till August , to avoid the bugs and such

there is some flooding here too , mostly low lying areas near the rivers , some of the parks I've searched over the years are also flooded but some of them seem to flood every spring

goaliewb

Reaction score
Ya we starting to get a lot of the thorny vines in southern ontario and everything is blooming. wont be long now until no more surface hunting, nd then the mosquitos will end the digging haha! then ill go up north to visit RCO and cool off haha!

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
I've quit for the season. Too many young snakes dug out and shoved out og the way....poison ivy on both legs and hands ...and mosquitoes. Not to mention all the turjey hunters. Done till dry season at least. August or sept.
Wow that's rough. Glad I don't get poison quite as bad as I used to. To me it seems like there's hardly a dry season anymore. Don't want to get into the weather change thing but things are definitely different.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yes, I feel the exact same way every year. Heavy rains here in Detroit Area with my Basement Flooded & many others flooded also. The bad thing about Fall is all the Hunters roaming the Woods. LEON.

Jeez sorry to hear about your basement Leon, didn't realize you were getting the flooding down there as well. Are the waters receding yet? Ours just peaked in the last few days.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger