Bleach safe for ACL bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
I was wondering if it is safe to soak or apply bleach to ACL bottles with white lettering that has dirt on it. Since it is so strong I didn't know if it would break down the paint or not. Thanks for any help.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
You could always try it with a broken bottle or one that you don't care about to see what happens. I suspect that the paint would break down or fade, but can't say for certain.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
You could always try it with a broken bottle or one that you don't care about to see what happens. I suspect that the paint would break down or fade, but can't say for certain.
Good idea. I will try that on an old Mountain Dew ACL that I don't really care about and is faded anyhow.

carling

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. I found some ACL milk bottles in an abandoned house attic. I put them in a tub of water with bleach added to sterilize and soak the disgusting urine/crap that was inside the bottles due to mice/rats using them for homes over the years. The ACL's disappeared. It really sucked, they were nice graphic ACL's.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. I found some ACL milk bottles in an abandoned house attic. I put them in a tub of water with bleach added to sterilize and soak the disgusting urine/crap that was inside the bottles due to mice/rats using them for homes over the years. The ACL's disappeared. It really sucked, they were nice graphic ACL's.
Thanks for the warning. Sorry about your bottles. After hearing that I think I'll stick to vinegar.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Vinegar with Lemon Juice works, it's basically Citrus Acid. LEON.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I usually use & prefer Oxalic Acid though. Pics of before & after. LEON.

2DirtyArola.jpg2Arolafronts.JPG

loydstakes

Reaction score
I'm needing help to find out about how old Tournades Bouquet bottle. Its 2 1/2 inches tall by about 1 inch wide at the base. Aqua glass.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi