Vintage R.White Lemonade & other interesting finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hannah 653

Reaction score
Just went on my first bottle hunt with my family, at an estuary which is a goldmine for bottle hunters. I thought I might share some of my more interesting finds, along with some of the other items in my family's collection.

First up we have some vintage R.White Lemonade. As you can see, a part of it has been smashed in (which would commonly be done back then in order to get to the marbles) but one marble has miraculously remained inside.
Secondly we have Brylcreem from (I'm guessing) the 1950s. Very good quality considering it was found buried in mud next to some sharp rocks.
The third bottle might not look like much, but we think it might be very old. The writing reads "Yorkshire relish/ Goodal Backhouse and co". Interestingly, this company used a specific symbol of a tree in its post-1870 products, which was lacking in its earlier items. As this bottle lacks this symbol, we can date it between 1836 and 1870, making it the oldest bottle in my collection I can confidently identify.
I found a bunch of other interesting items (mostly local british brands I've never heard of before.) I might post these later.
PS. If anybody happens to recognise a particular brand symbol of a capital M with some straight lines like a currency symbol, please see my post in the what is it forumn, I'm very curious.

Attachments

• IMG_0947.jpg
    IMG_0947.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0944.jpg
    IMG_0944.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0945.jpg
    IMG_0945.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 209

goaliewb

Reaction score
very cool! i have to find an estuary like that!
can you see them sticking out of the mud?
under water?

sandchip

Reaction score
Great finds! Never knew that Brylcreem came in jars. All I remember as a kid were tubes.

hannah 653

Reaction score
The estuary I go to is in a place in south-east England called Higham. It’s a gold mine for many reasons. Firstly- its a 3 way estuary so there are ships from all over the world that come through drop bottles. Also, it’s on marshland so is very flat, meaning bottles easily wash up in low tide. It’s also a place with historical links, meaning very old finds are common. On top of all of that, there are countless old and new industrial sites across the water. It’s a bottle hunters dream. If you don’t live near there then look for an estuary with similar properties. A word of warning, you have to be careful not to sink in the mud. You may see an interesting find further out in the tar, but if you feel yourself start to sink, don’t risk it.

Last edited:

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That's a shame the Codd bottle is broken, but at least if you've got a site producing Codd bottles there are likely others there to be found. It looks like a good spot! I'm not sure about that Goodall Blackhouse bottle dating to before 1870, it doesn't look to me like it's that old although I suppose it could date to a couple years before that. It certainly doesn't date anywhere near 1836, bottles back then were much more crude in their construction. Do you have a picture of the base? That might help give a better idea. Sometimes you have to be careful with information saying "all bottles like this must date before this year" because in my experience these often aren't correct, especially for smaller brands which would slowly phase in new changes.

RCO

Reaction score
sounds like an interesting location , keep us updated if you find anything else , but I'm not very familiar with British bottles ( so unable to provide more info or dates ) and not sure there are a lot of members on here who are

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora