Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ID help, intracoastal find

Very small bottle. No embossing on it unfortunately. Any info on timeframe or ID would be greatly appreciated.

Senior Member Bottle Master Harry Pristis's Avatar

I have seen one of these with an "essence of Jamaica ginger" label. If your bottle is mold-blown, it could be later than these two TOC examples.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flaskpair.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	188440

Senior Member Bottle Master sandchip's Avatar
    With that top, I'm guessing whiskey, 1890-1900, although an unusual shape/design for your typical flask. As fancy as it is, it might've be one for the ladies. Nice find in my book any day.

Quote Originally Posted by sandchip View Post
    With that top, I'm guessing whiskey, 1890-1900, although an unusual shape/design for your typical flask. As fancy as it is, it might've be one for the ladies. Nice find in my book any day.

I thought "whiskey nip" for a long while, even though 1.5 fluid ounces is not much of a nip. Then I saw one for sale that had a label which indicated "Jamaica ginger." I like these little flasks, and I have a third, even smaller.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flasktrio.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	188441

Senior Member Bottle Master
    That's a nice one! I think that a lot of the small thin flasks which people assume to be little whiskey flasks are actually extract bottles.

I have one of these that is embossed as a vinegar sample. I've also seen them labeled for bay rum.

probably one of a hundred standard products of a TOC glasshouse. I bet they were used as nipper flasks, extracts, vinegar, flavorings... Anything for which a small, cheap, fairly flashy little flask style was needed.

Neat looking piece.

Jim G

An American nip is 50 ML or 1.7 fl. oz. (An Australian or NZ "nip" is 29.57 ML - nominally 30 ML - or 1.0 fl. oz.) One fluid ounceequals 29.57 ​ml (milliliter).

If you accept my measurements, and I'm pretty careful, my 1.5 fl. oz. bottles have a volume of 44.36 ML. This is 5.64 ML or 12.7% short of an American nip. My third example at 0.75 fl. oz. or 22.18 ML doesn't fare any better when trying to make these bottles into whiskey nips.

If you think this evidence is too ambiguous for whiskey bottling, remember there is federal law by the time of these bottles requiring consistent bottle volume for spirits. All those "FULL MEASURE" whiskey flasks of the 1880s and 1890s are a response to that new federal law.

An American nip is 50 ML or 1.7 fl. oz. (An Australian or NZ "nip" is 29.57 ML - nominally 30 ML - or 1.0 fl. oz.)
    One fluid ounce
    equals 29.57 ​ml (milliliter).

If you accept my measurements, and I'm pretty careful, my 1.5 fl. oz. bottles have a volume of 44.36 ML. This is 5.64 ML or 12.7% short of an American nip. My third example at 0.75 fl. oz. or 22.18 ML doesn't fare any better when trying to make these bottles into whiskey nips.

If you think this evidence is too ambiguous for whiskey bottling, remember there is federal law by the time of these bottles requiring consistent bottle volume for spirits. All those "FULL MEASURE" whiskey flasks of the 1880s and 1890s are a response to that new federal law.

Thanks so much for all the info guys. Enjoy every bit of it, I even like learning about nips....