found some old rusty pop cans but nice Orange Crush

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
Some nice cans there! Is the Cavelier a flat top? I like the design on those Grand Prix cans, very 1960s. Are those the Dominion brand ones? Never seen them before. Looks like most of these would clean up pretty well with oxalic acid.

no the cavalier is not a flat top , these cans are all pretty much from the early 70's era . the grand prix is the dominion store brand cans . I think the cavalier ginger ale would clean up more , but don't really have the right stuff to do that myself .

was planning to go back and look for more but we have some snow today so have to wait till it clears up

RCO

Reaction score
The cone top cans I've only come across once or twice, probably 30 years ago at the time and didn't know what to make of them. I did find a Labbats 50, Coke, and Canada Dry in the last couple years that I held on to. Some oxidation/rust, but full of sand and roots and character.

I've only ever found 1 cone top can and that was a couple years ago . there not very common to find anymore . and not sure how many would of even survived this long .

I find coca cola and Canada dry cans all the time , often in bad condition as they've been outdoors . at this point I'm mostly looking for cans from the smaller brands and drinks which weren't as common back then .

as I didn't have a nice mountain dew can yet , so was glad to find that one

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah I haven't found a cone top yet either. I suspect that any left in good condition will be in dumps where they were able to be kept dry. I've found other painted label cans from that era so I wouldn't give up hope on ever finding one.

RCO

Reaction score
Yeah I haven't found a cone top yet either. I suspect that any left in good condition will be in dumps where they were able to be kept dry. I've found other painted label cans from that era so I wouldn't give up hope on ever finding one.

I don't imagine anyone would find a cone top lying on the ground outdoors like the cans I found this week , and if it was certainly be rusted away by now

I'd imagine there is lots of older cans buried in the municipal dumps around here ( no recycling back then so what else would they have done with them ) , can only imagine how much pop was drank during the summers here when the area is way busier . but most of those places you can't dig for obvious reasons

sort of making it a priority this year to try and find and recover as many older cans as possible , as I'm realising there deteriorating quickly and if not found soon many will simply rust away , overall when I look at my growing display in the garage I'm pretty satisfied with what I've found so far . hopefully if weather doesn't get terrible in the next few weeks I can still find a few more

yacorie

Reaction score
I’ve been in a dump recently with 100s or even 1000s of cans with many of them being conetops. Normally they’re all busted up and garbage but we’ve been able to find some good ones

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've only ever found 1 cone top can and that was a couple years ago . there not very common to find anymore . and not sure how many would of even survived this long .

I find coca cola and Canada dry cans all the time , often in bad condition as they've been outdoors . at this point I'm mostly looking for cans from the smaller brands and drinks which weren't as common back then .

as I didn't have a nice mountain dew can yet , so was glad to find that one

Was it a green Old Colony Soda Cone. I know somebody in Canada In here found one & sent me one but can't remember who it was, was it you? THANKS, LEON.

RCO

Reaction score
Was it a green Old Colony Soda Cone. I know somebody in Canada In here found one & sent me one but can't remember who it was, was it you? THANKS, LEON.

yes that was my can , what ever became of it ?

RCO

Reaction score
went back to this location yesterday and found another 30 cans , weather somewhat more challenging , some light snow so had to use the metal detector to find some of these cans .

seems like whoever dumped these back in the 70's went to the store , bought a couple of everything they had then threw the bag of empties into the woods . the variety of brands and flavours is what surprises me .

found more coca cola , pepsi cola , Canada dry , dominion / grand prix - tonic water and ginger ale , 5 more cavalier cans ginger ale / cola ( a new flavour I hadn't seen before ) , also a Canada dry wink , Wilson's ginger ale - Toronto , 5 more 7 up cans , and a IGA root beer which was another store brand but badly damaged . and 2 carlton club , a ginger ale and Orange .

20191102_090806.jpg20191102_090821.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
started to look thru and clean some of the more interesting cans

the grand prix tonic water and ginger ale still have a lot of colour .

the carlton club ginger ale has most of the front colour , the orange is badly damaged , none of the 5 cavalier cans were in good shape , can barely see the red on the cola can

the Wilson's ginger ale has some colour but damaged

20191102_094809.jpg20191102_094949.jpg

embe

Reaction score
seems like whoever dumped these back in the 70's went to the store , bought a couple of everything they had then threw the bag of empties into the woods . the variety of brands and flavours is what surprises me .

My last cook out had a similar amount of empties. I could only imagine what a restaurant or bar would have generated, back in the day. They're definitely neat (if not a bit beat). I still come across the pull tabs for these types of can once in a while

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi