Elbows Deep in the Muck...then, Some Luck!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Huntindog

Reaction score
Funny how bottles from the deep can come out so clean...
Great score
Congrats

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Funny how bottles from the deep can come out so clean...
Great score
Congrats

I think the only reason some of my finds are so clean is that they got submerged in goo rather quickly, which acted to insulate the glass from a lot of wear n' tear, like you see in bottles that have lain on a hard bottom for many years. Fast rivers typically make for very scratched, abused bottles, while slower rivers with firm bottoms seem to create some significant staining on the glass.

Here's a find from last weekend - another item that emerged from the riverbank, likely after recent flooding. Again, she was an easy clean, and is almost unscathed:

IMG_4556.jpg

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Here's another one, a gravitator, found on a small patch of hard sand in 4' of water, adjacent to the ballast-rubble remains of a very old dock. Why it turned a bit cloudy over time is a mystery to me; perhaps it was something in the lake water:

IMG_3230.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
its possible to find clean bottles in the lakes here , especially if they've been well hidden . I've found some that were very clean if they had been deep in the sand .

I've never found a Brown's hutch bottle though , that's a pretty neat find . there was significant flooding through much of that area so I'd imagine many rivers and lakes were stirred up and items could of been revealed which had been hidden for years .

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Those are a couple of really nice ones! I always like seeing finds like those being made in Canada.

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
its possible to find clean bottles in the lakes here , especially if they've been well hidden . I've found some that were very clean if they had been deep in the sand .

I've never found a Brown's hutch bottle though , that's a pretty neat find . there was significant flooding through much of that area so I'd imagine many rivers and lakes were stirred up and items could of been revealed which had been hidden for years .

Yeah, I've been looking for Brown's bottles in earnest; hoping to find a Gravitator & a Split one day. Here's my other Brown's:

More Brown's.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
I don't think the gravitator is easy to find , looked thru my pictures and don't even seem to have a picture of one . although I can recall seeing a picture of one somewhere .

did find part of the split bottle a few years ago , broken part of one when swimming . do have a picture of what one looks like

browns-mini.jpgbrownsplit.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora