Thread: War bottles

Senior Member Bottle Master Screwtop's Avatar

War bottles

Here is a pic I took of my "Civil War bottles". A few date just after the war, but are identical to war time bottles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0976.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	189033
    In all my perplexity's and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
    - Robert E. Lee

Senior Member Bottle Master
    Lots of history there. Imagine what they have seen and the people who used them, and created them.

Senior Member Bottle Finder
    I can't imagine the stories they could tell. I love trying to discover the history of every bottle I find! Screwtop are you able to add more detail about each type of bottle i.e., date, company and purpose/product? Nice collection

Senior Member Bottle Master Screwtop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raypadua View Post
    I can't imagine the stories they could tell. I love trying to discover the history of every bottle I find! Screwtop are you able to add more detail about each type of bottle i.e., date, company and purpose/product? Nice collection

I know a little bit about a few. The U.S.A HOSP. DEP'T bottle was Civil War issue for the North. It was probably filled with some painkillers to ease the pain of amputations, and bullet removals. 9/10 you were wide awake when they amputated you, and sometimes the painkiller didn't work.

The Mrs. Winslows Soothing Syrup is probably late 1860's, and it contained dangerously high amounts of Opium, and alcohol. The soldiers used it as a way to calm themselves down before battle, or just to plain get doped up. The medicine was made famous as a "baby killer" as the dosage for the average child was enough to kill.

The small Hoyt's Cologne was dug in a Civil War winter hut campsite, along with the Brown inkwell.

The Dr. J. Hostetters Bitters bottle was a bitters very high in alcohol, and it was said that one could get drunk by drinking it. 1 part grain alcohol to four parts water.

The rest are unmarked, and I am unable to produce much info on them.
    In all my perplexity's and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
    - Robert E. Lee

Senior Member Bottle Master iggyworf's Avatar
    Beautiful set of bottles!

Senior Member Bottle Finder
    Great info!!! Thanks for sharing!!! Again, love the history.