Can you clean and Preserve Wooden Pop Crates?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Raypadua

Reaction score
I recently picked up a number of dirty and worn pop crates. I was wondering if there was a way to clean them without wearing the graphics away any further and also preserving them better for the future?

Here's a couple of pic's.

Coke, Pepsi, 7-Up, Wynola & Nesbitt Crates.jpgNesbitt & Wynola Crates.jpg

Can someone also tell me how to rotate pic's to post properly :)

JKL

Reaction score
I was told linseed oil is good to highlight details to preserve.
I tried it on an old 7-Up case but it was very dark and in my opinion ruined the case.
I blow out dirt and debris using my compressor with a ****** that concentrates the air stream.
Then I use a damp cloth and wipe it clean.
I have not put any finishes on since the 7Up case.
I know have about 50-60 I use for display and shelves.
They look great.

Raypadua

Reaction score
T Hanks JKL! Just an easy clean and wash and let them be. After cleaning I was thinking of clear coating them with verathane or something along those lines. We'll see.

50 or 60! That's a lot! You should post some pic's of them especially any rare or hard to find ones. I am currently on the look out for Fruit/Mason Jar crates :)

nhpharm

Reaction score
I wouldn't coat them. I am a pretty avid collector of crates and I hate to see a clear coat on them. Just blow them off and wipe them down (in that order).

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Things could change but as of right now collectors enjoy items that are "survivors" and don't want them repainted, reconditioned, or preserved with clear coat. I say try to clean them enough to get rid of any mold or mildew and that's all.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Linseed oil darkens over time and cannot be removed. It's the disdain of many conservationists today.
I don't recommend trying to clean or coat the crates. Anything done is likely to cause irreparable damage. Technically, furniture and signs aren't antiques meant to be restored. Crates fit aspects of both.

JKL

Reaction score
T Hanks JKL! Just an easy clean and wash and let them be. After cleaning I was thinking of clear coating them with verathane or something along those lines. We'll see.

50 or 60! That's a lot! You should post some pic's of them especially any rare or hard to find ones. I am currently on the look out for Fruit/Mason Jar crates :)

Raypadua, I will have to dig to find individual pics of crates. I tend to like collecting the local companies to my area in southern Ontario. Reinhart, Wilson, Moran, Adanac Beverages, Woodlond, Kitchener Beverages to name a few but also have many national brands. To be honest though I have no idea which are or are not valuable. I wouldn't know what to look for. For me I have them to display and they look cool.
Here are a few pics of how I use then once I blow them clean with a compressor and wipe them down.

20190620_122145.jpg20190620_121926.jpg

Raypadua

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! No clear coating...ever!

Thanks for posting the pic's JKL. Fantastic collection and displays!!!

carling

Reaction score
Never coat!

I just hose them off (the filthy ones) and gently wipe off the dirt the hose didn't remove and it's never affected the paint.

It also brings out the animal urine smell if any of them are tainted, and I throw them out.

Nice pics, JKL.

Raypadua

Reaction score
Animal Urine! never thought of that...hopefully not the case here! Thanks for mentioning though!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi