Can you clean and Preserve Wooden Pop Crates?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JKL

Reaction score
T Hanks JKL! Just an easy clean and wash and let them be. After cleaning I was thinking of clear coating them with verathane or something along those lines. We'll see.

50 or 60! That's a lot! You should post some pic's of them especially any rare or hard to find ones. I am currently on the look out for Fruit/Mason Jar crates :)

Raypadua, here are some of my favourite pop crates.

POP -O and Hamilton Beverages I like cause they are so old.
The one short sided Coca Cola is an 8 pk carrier.
Others I like because of condition
Others cause they are local

Coca Cola 8pk.jpgCoca Cola Green Letter.jpgCoca Cola.jpgDr Pepper the friendly pepper upper.jpgHamilton Beverages.jpgKist.jpgNiagara  Beverages.jpgPepsi Kitchener Beverages 9-66.jpgPop 0.jpgReinhart.jpgRoyal Crown.jpgTeem 1961.jpgVernors.jpgWilsons.jpgWoodlond.jpg

Eric

Reaction score
Wow... great topic and great images... I have several crates... just shop vac or vacuum with the soft brush and wipe down... careful with too much water as the wood may expand and cause damage to the ink/painted graphics as they may lift off.

Last edited:

Raypadua

Reaction score
Great advice Eric, thanks!

JKL, I had no idea that collecting crates was even a thing! What a great variety you have of different brands and of different variations of the same brand! I have to keep my eyes open for more in my hometown...and when I travel!!!

Raypadua

Reaction score
Can’t believe my incredible luck! After posting this thread not too long ago I found an ad on Facebook marketplace selling 20 crates for $5 each! I bought the lot immediately. Now I really need to start cleaning and displaying them! I had a few of them already and there were lots of Cokes but there were also Drewry’s, Orange Crush, Schweppe’s, Sun Crest and 2 Way that I was excited to get!!! Here’s a pic of part of the stash that I need to incorporate into the house:
5475EEE9-CECA-481A-926D-AEE09775F88F.jpg

Eric

Reaction score
SWEEEEEEEETTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a deal! Crates have seemed to have dried up... What a score the 2 green Cokes and Wynola are awesome! Can't wait to see them set up in the collection
Congrats!

GLASSHOPPER55

Reaction score
I agree with what others said about NOT coating them. People nowdays want 'em in "as found" condition,and you wouldn't want to do anything to them that you can't "un-do".

JKL

Reaction score
Those crates you bought are fantastic.
Absolutely love the Orange Crush.
The fact there are so many different is amazing.
You were forced to buy them at $5 each!

Raypadua

Reaction score
Thanks Glasshopper, definitely no coating of any sort. Just a good dusting.

Yes, JKL, I was definitely "forced" to buy these :)

I actually just missed a Zero Bottling Company Crate by minutes for $8! I even offered much more but the person stuck to their guns to sell it to the first offer which I completely respect! I had to offer though because I have never seen one before. Next time!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi