Newbie requiring help please Pepsi Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

snetboy

Reaction score
Hi all

First time using the forum and looking for help on ageing a Pepsi bottle I found whilst digging out an old hedge.

The bottle has a letter "R" in the middle of its base.

Many thanks

Bob (Norfolk, UK)

Attachments

• IMG_2725.jpg
    IMG_2725.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 331

Canadacan

Reaction score
Welcome!...I'm pretty sure these ACL Pepsi's ran from the late 40's? up to about 1958. Not sure what plant the R would represent being the bottle is from the UK.

snetboy

Reaction score
Thank you - hopefully one of the uk forums can help with that!

RCO

Reaction score
was Pepsi common in the UK by then ? doesn't surprise me it was sold there by the 50's / 60's .

is there any dates on the bottom ? most of our pepsi bottles have dates on them

Steve1976

Reaction score
Hi. Newbie here too and also found this under a hedge :) Searched many PEPSI-COLA bottle images but couldn’t find one the same. Though it looks the same as the guys bottle who started the post.

Attachments

• 8F793CD2-9DFB-4100-A80C-B7795B03B262.jpg
    8F793CD2-9DFB-4100-A80C-B7795B03B262.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 269

snetboy

Reaction score
Thats the one! Heres the response I had on the UK forum
-
[FONT=&quot]PEPSI-COLA BOTTLES[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hi Snetboy (Bob?) and welcome to the forum.
-
As you might already be aware Pepsi-Cola has a history going back to the late 19th century which is well documented on many internet sites.
Wikipedia gives a good basic history and is linked at the end of this post.
-
Your bottle has what is generically known as 'Applied Ceramic Label' (ACL) which is not a particularly heavily
collected field in the UK currently but they are very popular in the US, Canada and Australia.
It is on one of the 'basket weave' type bottles which were the subject of a long running thread
on another forum which I have again linked at the end of the post.
-
Yours appears to be one of the British varieties with the wording 'TRADE MARK REGD.' below the script logo.
I think the US varieties just have a normal copyright mark below the logo.
-
Acording to the Wikipedia site that particular script logo was in use from 1940 to 1950 and re-introduced in 2014.
The brand became known as just 'PEPSI' in 1963.
however, it is also worth checking other sources as Wikipedia cannot be relied on 100%.[/FONT]

-

-

[FONT=&quot]So, although later than the majority of bottles currently collected in the UK you still may have one that could be between 60 to 80 years old
which appears to be in reasonably good condition and if I found it I would certainly keep it!!
-
As a matter of interest are there any marks embossed below the base?

-[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Link to Pepsi on Wikipedia - scroll to the bottom for many more related links:[/FONT]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepsi

[FONT=&quot]Link to the 'Basket Weave' pattern bottles thread on the antique-bottles.net site:[/FONT]

https://www.antique-bottles.net/show...design-pattern

-

smile.png

hemihampton

Reaction score
Looks like he gave you a link back to this site.Ironic. LEON.

Steve1976

Reaction score
Thanks for that snetboy. I've taken a pic of the underside but there's not too much to see tbh. It was almost buried and clogged with soil and moss. I'm not sure how long this takes to occur naturally? ..but it looks to be old enough to be one of the early ones to me. That being said, I've nothing to compare it to. The faint marks on the underside might however prove this to be not the case?!

thumbnail_IMG_5827.jpg

M.C.Glass

Reaction score
This bottle has the single dot main label, used from like 1950, and the neck label used on the swirl bottles of the 1960s. Id wager it's from the early 1960s.

Canadacan

Reaction score
I'm sharing this from one of my other posts, yes thses are Canadain bottles but I'm pretty sure the UK would have introduced the new bottle prior to 1960.

This is the 1958, 1959 with the funny bell shaped heel, and the following year 1960 they no longer have the bell bottom. Ironically all three of these have the July/August month code!

And in experience from other bottles quite often each bottle came in both styles for the transition year.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora