Newbie requiring help please Pepsi Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
snetboy

Is the R on the base inside a circle? If so, it might have been made by Rockware Glass Ltd in England whose mark was an (R) in a circle.

Are there any numbers or other marks on the base?

The so called "Wave" bottle like yours was patented in 1940 and used extensively until the so called "Swirl" bottle was patented and first introduced around 1955. There was a transition period between the two bottles that lasted for a few years, but its fairly safe to say that the "Wave" bottle was fully replaced by the "Swirl" bottle by 1960. Hence, your bottle likely dates to no later than about 1960. However, I'm not sure if these time-frames apply to foreign Pepsi Cola bottles. Their transition period could have been sooner or later than those of U.S. bottles.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Another odd ball thing is the fact it has the regular 'swirl' of the 40's bottles, In Canada by 1951 we went to 10oz reverse 'swirl'. And the upper neck ACL is that of the 60's style.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Cc

I'm a little confused about your use of the term "Swirl" -- Especially where you said Canada went to the swirl design in 1951. The swirl bottle wasn't patented until 1955-56. I'm attaching images of the "Wave" and "Swirl" patents to confirm the dates -- Maybe what you call a swirl is what I call a wave ???

Pepsi Bottle Patent 1940 (2).jpg

Pepsi Bottle Patent 1955 1956 (2).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Over the years I have tried to find the origin of the term "Wave" for the patent 1940 Pepsi Cola bottle, but was never able to determine exactly when or where the nickname originated. As far as I know its just a collector's term that someone came up with along the way. Or, maybe someone misread the word "Weave" and thought it was "Wave" -- In my opinion, the design is more like a "Weave" than a "Wave" -- But regardless of that, the term "Wave" is locked in with collectors and will no doubt continue to be used from now on. As far as the term "Swirl" goes, that came from the Pepsi Cola Company itself, as you will see in the attached Ads and Article ...

Pepsi Bottle Patent 1940 Cropped Patern.JPG

Pepsi Swirl Bottle Ad  The Logansport Press Indiana July 25, 1958.jpg

Pepsi Swirl Bottle Ad  The Daily Times Salisbury Maryland Sept 25, 1958.jpg

Pepsi Swirl Bottle Ad 1959.jpg

Last edited:

Canadacan

Reaction score
:confused:I just call em all swirls!..lol, swirl, reverse swirl, full swirl:p

Canadacan

Reaction score
Bob, I forgot to say thanks for that enlightment!..great info and cool ads. I'll definetly try to adopt these terms when refering to the differnt styles of Pepsi bottles! :)

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora