spoon from confederate steam boat c.e. hillman

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dansalata

Reaction score
so.i decided to go to the porterville college flea market..it was pretty hot but i managed a few rows...the last aisle i walked i saw a pile of silverware...looking for sterling i noticed this soup spoon with "steamboat c.e. hillman stampedon thehandle..i was intrigued..never seen this before..there weree 3 of em ,the man said 5 bucks..im like cool...so i came home and looked the steamship c.e.hillman...holy s(&^%$ a confederate stemboat captured april 28 1861...there are letters online from abraham lincoln commenting on it...the hillman had 1300 pounds of gunpowder in it,tons of lead..150pistols and other stuff....still trippin on this UNEXPECTED DISCOVERY 20190623_071852.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
if there stamped as being from the steamer C E Hillman it would certainly seem to be the case that they came from an old steamer .

were you able to find anything else about the history of it ? how long was it in operation for ? a lot of these old steamers eventually sank or had something happen to them

CanadianBottles

Reaction score

Dansalata

Reaction score
there were theories that thehillman was made into a ironclad,,butonly rumours...i didnt know booth was in the hillman..whoa..the awesomeness continues...thanks for the replies..

nhpharm

Reaction score
That is super awesome! I collect nautical stuff...have a bronze engraved capstan cover from a Confederate blockade runner and a ships bell from a Union steamship. No doubt those spoons are from that vessel. Great find!

Dansalata

Reaction score
thanks nhpharm......union steamship bell......wowser

RCO

Reaction score
usually there is books about those old steamers , in Canada there is a fair number and usually if you find the right book you can look up specific vessels and read about there history

so if there is any books on confederate steamers or steamers from the south ? that might be a place to look for more info

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
there were theories that thehillman was made into a ironclad,,butonly rumours...i didnt know booth was in the hillman..whoa..the awesomeness continues...thanks for the replies..
Pretty sure those rumours aren't true, there's a newspaper article from 1866 about the C.E. Hillman colliding with another steamer and sinking it. It definitely wasn't an ironclad at that point.

Screwtop

Reaction score
THAT IS AMAZING! I am a huge Civil War buff, and that has me oozing with envy, but in a good way. Way to go on that find, and research!

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi