Townsend's Sarsaparilla with "X" on Plain Panel

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ACLbottles

Reaction score
I just picked up this unusual Townsend's Sarsaparilla that I was hoping to find more information on. It's a nice blue green color with an iron pontil. It's also nicely whittled and has a cool amber streak running through each panel. The unusual thing about this particular variation is that on the fourth panel (which appears to be blank in most other variations), there is a cross or an "X" shape embossed in the center, near the top of the panel. There are also two little beads of glass on the base, underneath the panels embossed with "Sarsaparilla" and "Albany N.Y." These beads appear to be part of the mold and not some sort of error. They're visible in the attached picture showing the base. I don't really know much about Townsend's bottles and I haven't been able to find out much regarding this particular mold online. Does anyone have any idea how common this Townsend's mold is? I hear there's a lot of variation in these old Townsend's bottles. Thanks for looking!

IMG_3541.jpgIMG_3540.jpgIMG_3543.jpgIMG_3549.jpgIMG_3558.jpgIMG_3546.jpgIMG_3545.jpgIMG_3548.jpg

sandchip

Reaction score
Rick Ciralli did a series of articles on the different Townsend's variants in AB&GC a year or two ago. I can try to find it in my mess here, but it would probably be easier just to contact him. Absolutely beautiful bottle!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
That's interesting. I have a black (olive-amber) example with || on the label side. I have no idea about such marks other than possible mold-marks.

townsends_black_A.JPG townsends_black_B.JPG townsends_black_C.JPG townsends_black_E.JPG

ACLbottles

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply sandchip! I'll try to contact Mr. Ciralli as soon as possible. Do you have his email address or do you know where I could find it?

Harry, that's a really nice bottle! I love the color. Thanks for the reply!

ACLbottles

Reaction score
Thanks again sandchip! I'll send him an email later on today. If I hear back from him I'll be sure to post what he says here.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger