Senior Member Bottle Master

found a couple old Canadian coins in the lake

I've actually been having more luck finding coins lately than bottles , I recently started using a metal magnet and checking a lot of the same locations I went swimming for bottles in the past .

mostly finding a lot of nails and modern Canadian coins which are made of metal . most older Canadian coins made before 1967 ( with the exception of nickels aren't magnetic , same for US coins )

these are my 2 oldest finds so far this year , a 1931 Canada nickel which I found with the magnet off a dock which belongs to an old hotel . in good condition , Canada five 5 cent on front

and a King Edward One Cent coin, date is unreadable but would date from between 1902 and 1910 . in bad shape found off a dock , found it when swimming around the dock as a copper coin is not magnetic .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02102.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	189499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02103.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	189500

Senior Member Bottle Finder
    Nothing wrong with finding money out there ��

I’ve collected coins in the past so finding some oldies but goodies would be exciting!

I bet you'd find a lot in these spots if you had an underwater metal detector! It's a shame they're so expensive, swimming areas seem to be the only places left where you can easily find a lot of old coins and jewelry.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBottles View Post
    I bet you'd find a lot in these spots if you had an underwater metal detector! It's a shame they're so expensive, swimming areas seem to be the only places left where you can easily find a lot of old coins and jewelry.
    I'm sure there is stuff out there , an underwater metal detector would likely find them , but either way not that easy to find small items underwater

did find one location that is loaded with modern coins , busy public docks area , been there 4 times with the metal magnet and found lots of smaller value coins . such as pennies ( only newer ones from 2000-2012 are magnetic ) , nickels , dimes and quarters . no loonies or toonies yet . oldest coin a nickel from 1960

never actually gone swimming at this location , so not exactly sure whats down there but seems to have potential

found another old coin , however this one was not found when swimming or with magnet . actually I can thank Canadianbottles for this one .

I recall you mentioned to check the rejects at coin counting machines in grocery stores , only really even 1 discount grocery store here that has one of those machines . anyways was there one day and checked out of curiosity

and there was actually a coin there , a Canada dime but an older one , silver perhaps why it was rejected ?

its a 1940 Canada dime , little dirty but reasonably good condition

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02112.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	189575Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02113.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	189576

Nice find! Yeah the silver gets rejected from those coin counters. The supermarket I've been going to for the past year has one of those machines and I still have never found silver at it. Loads of foreign coins, but nothing predating the 70s.