Civil War era ale?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Rickets (Ricketts?) was a major English glassmaker. Some of their bottles had their name embossed on the base. A three piece mold is just that, a bottle mold that was comprised of 3 pieces, a one part base that joined around about the shoulder with the other two parts of the mold. threepiecemold.jpg

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Right you are. Henry Ricketts of Bristol in 1821 was granted a patent on a 3-piece mold machine. That machine changed the industry.

blackASinclair.jpg blackASinclairbase.jpg

willong

Reaction score
I hope you do not mind this question. In the 1970's, I dug a number of similar examples of black glass ale, and other, bottles in western Washington State. Also dug a few in SE British Columbia mining country very close to the WA border. Since you state that you bought the bottle, would you mind saying what the purchase price was?

If other diggers and collector want to toss their opinions on value into the discussion I'd be interested in reading those too.

Screwtop

Reaction score
I hope you do not mind this question. In the 1970's, I dug a number of similar examples of black glass ale, and other, bottles in western Washington State. Also dug a few in SE British Columbia mining country very close to the WA border. Since you state that you bought the bottle, would you mind saying what the purchase price was?

If other diggers and collector want to toss their opinions on value into the discussion I'd be interested in reading those too.

I got it for about $10, plus tax.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score

I imagine it depends a lot on location. I remember trying to sell these in BC for $1 each a decade or so ago. I never managed to sell a single one. You used to be able to pick them up for pennies at our local recycle resale store, bottle diggers would drop boxes full of them off. They seem to be much less common in the States though. In BC these and similar bottles would make up about 50-75% of intact bottles in a typical turn of the 20th century dump.

nhpharm

Reaction score
I sell them for $1 each at the bottle shows...and definitely don't manage to sell them all. Depending on my mood a lot of them just go back in the hole.

sandchip

Reaction score
Not to change the subject, but that's a good looking bottle, Harry. Killer embossing around that pontil scar.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Not to change the subject, but that's a good looking bottle, Harry. Killer embossing around that pontil scar.

Thanks for the feedback, sandchip. I acquired that bottle in Guyana a good while ago. I had been picking out 1700s bottles from a dealer. I finished with a few dollars still in my pocket. I was out on the street when the dealer chased after me with this bottle in his hand. I was reluctant because the 3pm bottle was too recent, but he talked me into buying it for $15 USD. I'm glad I did.

sandchip

Reaction score
Man, I wish somebody would chase me down with a bottle like that!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora