Civil War era ale?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Screwtop

Reaction score
I bought this beauty of a black glass ale bottle today. It is three piece mold, and has a very drippy G K embossed on the bottom. Is this pre war, or Civil War era? (1861-1865)

DSC_0153.jpgDSC_0154.jpgDSC_0156.jpg

nhpharm

Reaction score
In my experience, these post-date the Civil war by about 5-10 years. I usually find them in 1870's-1910's context, and they don't seem to have changed much in those 40 years except the later ones are mostly 2-piece rather than 3-piece molds. This is an earlier example but I don't think it dates as early as Civil War. Just my opinion based on my digging experience though!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Nhpharm, do you know if these were ever manufactured in the US? I've always assumed these to be British, we find them by the bucketload in turn of the 20th century sites in Canada, especially out west.

Screwtop

Reaction score
Nhpharm, do you know if these were ever manufactured in the US? I've always assumed these to be British, we find them by the bucketload in turn of the 20th century sites in Canada, especially out west.

I'm sure these were made in the U.S. BUT like I said, I don't know much about them. It is old, not turn of the century, I DO know that. If you look at the neck, there is no turning like post 1880s stuff.

nhpharm

Reaction score
I am pretty much 100% certain that these were not made in the US. I dig them by the dozens in trash pits in Galveston, Texas and some of them still have the pigment attached from the labels, and they have all been British.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I am pretty much 100% certain that these were not made in the US. I dig them by the dozens in trash pits in Galveston, Texas and some of them still have the pigment attached from the labels, and they have all been British.

I don't have your evidence to support them being British, but nothing about the form speaks to me as American. Just not quite right. I think they show up commonly for sale on the east coast generally. I've seen them many times here in New England.

Jim G

sunrunner

Reaction score
they are English export ale. mad on a rickets three piece mold 1870, 80s, 90s, some times embossed on the bottom .

Screwtop

Reaction score
That's a little bit of a let down, but I'm happy with it. Black glass is black glass! Sunrunner, what does mad on rickets mean?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beth 264