Any point in keeping blank pre-1900 bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

FreeRangeAsparagus

Reaction score
I have quite a few pre-1900 bottles with no markings lying around, is there any interest in these? If someone wants them I would be glad to send them, but I imagine interest is low. Here's a photo. They haven't been cleaned yet as I usually just throw them out.
IMG_9813.jpg

Screwtop

Reaction score
I like stuff if it is before 1930. These look to be 1950-1990. DO NOT THROW THEM OUT. Someone will take them sooner or later, especially if you hand them out to kids or something. It was the "throw it out, it's trash" mentality that has destroyed countless bottles that collectors in the future would pay a premium for.

FreeRangeAsparagus

Reaction score
It was the "throw it out, it's trash" mentality that has destroyed countless bottles that collectors in the future would pay a premium for.

Very good point. I will clean them up and put them in storage, maybe I can set them out at a yard sale someday. And it looks like I'll have to get a little better at dating bottles. I was just going by the seam on these but I think it's fair to say it may have just eroded away for some of them.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
No I think you're more or less right on the date for the ones in the back, apart from maybe second from right. They look like tooled-lip bottles. Probably not actually pre-1900 but from around 1910 or so. The one in the front right is an NDNR bottle from the 60s or 70s, and the one in the front centre is a modern beer bottle which looks like the ones you can still buy today. I've never had any luck selling this sort of bottle at garage sales, even for $1 each. You might be able to sell a box of them for a few dollars on the classifieds.

FreeRangeAsparagus

Reaction score
There’s a handful of this sort lying around in my collection, I’ll make a box of them and maybe I can hand them out to kids at a yard sale like you said.

By the way, this is rather off-topic, but what’s the best place to show my collection and possibly get some insight on certain bottles? I haven’t really taken collecting seriously until this year, I have ~40 bottles to date and some I’m stumped on.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
There’s a handful of this sort lying around in my collection, I’ll make a box of them and maybe I can hand them out to kids at a yard sale like you said.

By the way, this is rather off-topic, but what’s the best place to show my collection and possibly get some insight on certain bottles? I haven’t really taken collecting seriously until this year, I have ~40 bottles to date and some I’m stumped on.
You could always post them in the "What is it?" section, even a picture of a bunch of them is often enough to identify several at a time. If some stand out we can ask for more photos.

Eric

Reaction score
Yeah post images here.. You'll find out what you have and probably history and makers, etc. Lots of knowledge here.

American

Reaction score
De-clutter your life and dump those in the recycle bin.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora