Chero Cola I Just Got

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Tener

Reaction score
Hi all. I am new here and this is my first post. I don't have a large collection but I do have a few bottles I have acquired over the years. I just found this Chero Cola that looks to be sun purple. It actually looks a lot darker in pics. I have searched this sight and I think this is from 1913-1914. I like it and I though I would share it here. It is a Jacksonville Fl bottle and it also says "This Bottle Never Sold" Thanks

Attachments

• CIMG0751.jpg
    CIMG0751.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 281
  • CIMG0752.jpg
    CIMG0752.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 262
  • CIMG0754.jpg
    CIMG0754.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 261
  • CIMG0755.jpg
    CIMG0755.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 282
  • CIMG0756.jpg
    CIMG0756.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 285

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Hello, welcome to the site! That is a nice bottle you have there. If it is from 1913-1914 it probably had some manganese in it which did made bottles turn a shade of purple in the sun. But they don't usually turn this dark of a purple naturally! It looks like it's been irradiated or "nuked" by someone artificially. Did you get it on Ebay?

Tener

Reaction score
Hello, welcome to the site! That is a nice bottle you have there. If it is from 1913-1914 it probably had some manganese in it which did made bottles turn a shade of purple in the sun. But they don't usually turn this dark of a purple naturally! It looks like it's been irradiated or "nuked" by someone artificially. Did you get it on Ebay?

Actually it isn't that dark. I don't know why but my camera makes it look much darker than it really is. I have had a lot of sun purple glass over the years and this looks just like it in person. I don't think it was "Nuked" but I guess it could have been. It was only $1.00 at a yard sale.

Tener

Reaction score
Sadly the color is not original.

Are you in the "Nuked" category? Or do you think the sun could have done it? I really don't know. I have never seen or had a "Nuked" bottle before.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Looks up "purple soda bottle" on Ebay. You'll see a vivid difference between irradiated bottles and the ones that turned in the sunlight.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
If the colour is a lot lighter in person then I think it's possible that the sun actually did turn it that colour, under specific circumstances. There were a lot of genuine deep purple bottles found back in the 70s in places like Nevada where they lay exposed for 60 years. The sun will turn bottles fairly deep purple, but only through decades of constant exposure. I've found shards that were this shade of purple on a mine tailings pile in BC, but nothing close to this deep anywhere in the forest. Florida I'm not so sure about, I don't know what sort of environment could lead to exposure for that long down there. Maybe if it was on a beach for a long time.

shotdwn

Reaction score
Tener, my suggestion to you if you want to know if it is SCA or nuked for sure is to take it to a bottle show or someone who knows bottles and ask them. No one can tell you for sure one way or the other just by looking at a picture because colors are going to vary from monitor to monitor. Without seeing the bottle in person all they can do is make a guess according to how it appears on their monitor.

Tener

Reaction score
Tener, my suggestion to you if you want to know if it is SCA or nuked for sure is to take it to a bottle show or someone who knows bottles and ask them. No one can tell you for sure one way or the other just by looking at a picture because colors are going to vary from monitor to monitor. Without seeing the bottle in person all they can do is make a guess according to how it appears on their monitor.

Thanks that is a great idea. Do any of you guys know of a bottle show here in Florida?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi