Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Bottle Master

My smallest bottle I've ever found

Today while walking around in an old bottle dump near a creek, I found this little piece. Most everything in that area ends up being broken. I guess this one survived simply because it is so small. It's 2" tall and 1 3/8" wide. On the bottom there is 68 with an F under the numbers. Any ideas on what it might have been?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0756.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	190198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0755.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	190199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0754.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	190200

Senior Member Bottle Master sandchip's Avatar
    Tiny poison. Must've been some potent stuff!

Senior Member Bottle Master Robby Raccoon's Avatar
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.04.12.10_525.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	190203
    While these are slightly newer (1910s-1920s), yours from the 1900-1910s period would have had a label something like these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2003-mis-014.jpg  

Junior Member New Bottler
    Was this design based on packaging?

Quote Originally Posted by embe View Post
    Was this design based on packaging?
    I don't think so, I believe these had the unusual shape to warn people that they contained poison, so that it was harder to confuse them with something else.

Nice find by the way! Poisons aren't the most common thing to find, and especially not in such a tiny size. I don't remember seeing one of these that small before.

Member New Bottler
    Just a bit of trivia.........that bottle was made by Fairmount Glass Company (at that time) in Indianapolis, Indiana. They used the "F" mark for many years and made gobs of amber bottles and jars of every description. The "68" is probably a mold identifier.

Thanks to everybody for the interesting helpful info. I believe it's the first Fairmount bottle I have. I can see the raised ridges on the bottle identify it as a poison. I didn't realize they were so rare. But that explains why I've never found any other poison bottles.

It is one of the most common American poison bottles out there, but to me, EVERY poison bottle, especially the small ones, are valuable as a collector's item. I have three and I treasure them. They come in various sizes. Some have embossing on one panel and some have embossing on two panels. These bottles can usually be purchased for under $20, with most selling between $5 and $10. I have seen them for sale, however, on ebay for around $50, although I am not sure what the sellers actually got for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Waste View Post
    It is one of the most common American poison bottles out there, but to me, EVERY poison bottle, especially the small ones, are valuable as a collector's item. I have three and I treasure them. They come in various sizes. Some have embossing on one panel and some have embossing on two panels. These bottles can usually be purchased for under $20, with most selling between $5 and $10. I have seen them for sale, however, on ebay for around $50, although I am not sure what the sellers actually got for them.
    That is good to know! This fall and winter I'll definitely be out trying to find more small bottles like this. One good thing is they are able to escape damage easier.