C.H. Tune and Cummer & Sons (large size)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

embe

Reaction score
I thought these were beer bottles but some quick research indicates sodas? Same lot as the others I picked up, could use a cleaning though.
20190927_162749.jpg
20190927_162801.jpg20190927_162812.jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
Those are nice!.. yes definitely soda. You can try using denture tabs to clean, surprisingly they can clean quite a bit. If still hazed after that they would probably require professional tumble polishing.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Nice finds! Great embossing on both. I've never heard of the denture tab trick, I'll have to try that on some of the stained bottles I have.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Nice finds! Great embossing on both. I've never heard of the denture tab trick, I'll have to try that on some of the stained bottles I have.

Honestly I doubt it'll work on these old dug bottles, it's probably etched right in like my examples, but the tabs are cheap and even if it improves 20%.

RCO

Reaction score
CH Tune was definitely a soda bottler from London Ontario , its listed in my book as operating from 1911-1919

but true that some of the old beer and pop bottles look similar in size and appearance

Arob

Reaction score
Devitrification - whereby the surface of the glass develops a whitish scum, crazing, or wrinkles instead of a smooth glossy shine, as the molecules in the glass change their structure into that of crystalline solids. While this condition is normally undesired, in glass art it is possible to use devitrification as a deliberate artistic technique.
I believe it's because the heat and pressure of the earth causes the manganese (the vitrifier) to become free of the soda / silicate etc glass composition. The good news is that its only on the surface 0.01 mm and easily tumbled away.

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
They be soda bottles alright! Love the buck on the London soda; have me a number of crown-top & blob-top sodas, and always hunting for more! Here's some of them and some others captured in early morning light:

Beauties Bathed in Morning Light.JPG

embe

Reaction score
That morning light really makes the picture "pop" :) Is that a Cummer & Sons in the back row? Still on my list to try out the denture tabs for cleaning

Ann M.

Reaction score
They be soda bottles alright! Love the buck on the London soda; have me a number of crown-top & blob-top sodas, and always hunting for more! Here's some of them and some others captured in early morning light:

View attachment 203928
Those are beautiful. I have several that are aqua and I believe crown top? Let me know if you'd like to see pictures.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi