Paris Soda Water Co. Toronto

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Brewster113

Reaction score
IMG_20191003_114942.jpg
Went to Southworks today in Cambridge Ont., and found this soda bottle. Paris Soda Water Co., M. Saltier Prop. Toronto it has the Star of David as it's trade mark. Nice bottle, similar to the trademark of John O'Connor Toronto. Apparently a rare bottle as I have never seen one in over forty years of collecting.

RCO

Reaction score
I've seen them before but are hard to find , my book lists them as operating 1906-1908 , so weren't around for very long , think there is a couple different bottles from this bottler but all have the star design on them

Brewster113

Reaction score
I saw one on Maple Leaf auctions without the proprietors name, and there is supposed to be a Codd bottle but have not seen it. Thanks for the dates did not know them.
Bruce

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That's a nice find, I've never seen one of those either. I didn't know that Toronto had any Codd bottles, do you know if there are any others? I know Montreal has a couple, and there are several from BC and I think a few from the Maritimes. I don't normally associate them with Ontario.

RCO

Reaction score
I saw one on Maple Leaf auctions without the proprietors name, and there is supposed to be a Codd bottle but have not seen it. Thanks for the dates did not know them.
Bruce

not sure never heard of this company having a cod bottle , time period wise I usually associate cod bottles as being older , don't think there is very many cod bottles from Ontario , is one from Hamilton not sure about Toronto

Brewster113

Reaction score
Did some checking and there are eight codd bottles from Ontario, if you put in your browser codd bottles in Ontario Archeology tmhc will bring up a 25 page report from KEWA London chapter. I have been collecting bottles for over forty years and have only had the opportunity to buy one Ontario codd bottle which is a Pilgrim Bros. from Hamilton, of which there is three or four variants.
Bruce

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Wow that's interesting, never expected Ontario to have that many. I'll have to keep my eyes out, I'd love to find one of those! I'm also shocked to see that there's one which is supposed to date from 1931-1935! That sound pretty late even for British Codds and unheard of for Canada. I wonder if they got their dates mixed up somehow.

https://tmhc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Kewa-2017-5-6.pdf

nhpharm

Reaction score
I know the local Codd from Galveston, Texas dates to around 1910-1920, so fairly late.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I know the local Codd from Galveston, Texas dates to around 1910-1920, so fairly late.
Yeah I can definitely see there being Codds from the 1910s, I know they were still widely in use in the UK at that point. The 1930s are just so late that I have a hard time imagining them being in use here, but I suppose it's possible. They may have even been ordered as a novelty to make their drinks stand out I guess. I'd really like to see a picture of one of these, I wonder if they're ABM.

RCO

Reaction score
Wow that's interesting, never expected Ontario to have that many. I'll have to keep my eyes out, I'd love to find one of those! I'm also shocked to see that there's one which is supposed to date from 1931-1935! That sound pretty late even for British Codds and unheard of for Canada. I wonder if they got their dates mixed up somehow.

https://tmhc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Kewa-2017-5-6.pdf

they list the Excelsior bottle and beverage works as having a codd , I actually have this bottle , it does look similar to a codd but definitely not an older codd bottle , as what you'd think one look like , also no marble

I always felt the design was more a way for people to grip the bottle , not a codd design

unless there is some entirely different bottles from this bottle I've never seen before

excelsiorbottingworks.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora