Sick glass

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glass_digger

Reaction score
I dug up some old bottles and after cleaning them with vinegar there is still a cloudy appearance on the glass. I was wondering if it is better to leave the glass cloudy to show its age or is it better to try to make it look new again.

Thanks

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
It's better to try and make it look new again, but it's also really hard without putting it through a tumbling machine, which costs a fair bit if you don't have your own. That hazy appearance is often damage to the surface of the glass itself, so there's no cleaning it off in that case.

nhpharm

Reaction score
I like them to show their age and history. Unless they are an inherently beautiful bottle (which most honestly are not) I don't really feel like tumbling them is worthwhile.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
I dug up some old bottles and after cleaning them with vinegar there is still a cloudy appearance on the glass. I was wondering if it is better to leave the glass cloudy to show its age or is it better to try to make it look new again.

Thanks

If the haze doesn't personally bother you, keep it the way it is. But if you are wanting to sell them, some buyers will make a big deal about haze. Especially ones who expect vintage items to look like a new one.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I prefer to Tumble them. Before & after pics below. LEON.

Attachments

• HazeltineDirty.JPG
    HazeltineDirty.JPG
    300.9 KB · Views: 398
  • HazeltineCleaned3.JPG
    HazeltineCleaned3.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 424

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members