Searching for bottles near an 1920s era farm

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

yacorie

Reaction score
Found an plain early headlight lens at a farmers dump. It's intact but has some chips along the the perimeter... go figure. The cars of those days took a serious beating. Also, found s couple wire spoked auto wheels and enamel ware (roached). Not unusual, I found a few embossed horse liniment/medicine bottles as well. Picking through that stuff is always a thrill. One thing though, at the dump I most recently found, they loved their wine, LOL. Nothing unusual, but a lot of broken blobs and meds.

id be digging that one hard to get the blobs and meds

slugplate

Reaction score
I dug a farm dump once that was mostly just layers of whiskey flasks. The farmer dumping there definitely had drinking issues, lol

LOL. Have yet to see a farmers dump without alcohol containers. Must be some sort of correlation.:)

slugplate

Reaction score
Still working the site. I'm sure I'll find a blob or a med. Just got to keep poking away. Farm dumps are very tricky, they didn't usually dump everything in one area and you have to keep working the surrounding areas. Currently, I've been following old cart paths looking for clues.

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
Still working the site. I'm sure I'll find a blob or a med. Just got to keep poking away. Farm dumps are very tricky, they didn't usually dump everything in one area and you have to keep working the surrounding areas. Currently, I've been following old cart paths looking for clues.

Yeah digging is sometimes a pain! I once had to dig through a pile of chickenwire, cable and cast iron stove pieces ugh! My work was paid off though when that spot produced a rare local milk! It pays to persist.

If you want some tips, I have had luck finding farm dumps by following old rock wall or fence lines from the back of the farmhouse or barn. Also check the lowest areas toward the back of the farm. Most of the time if there was a low area or wetland behind the farm house or barn there was a dump pretty close by. Be sure to also check out HistoricAerials.com it may have some 1930s aerials from your area that can show old cart roads, fields, tree lines, etc. and can aid your search for spots.

slugplate

Reaction score
PlaneDiggerCam, do you live near Greenwich? I used to travel up there when I worked for a produce company.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I found the dump! There were many cone tops, but all were not worth saving. I will keep my eye out for you. I also will post my finds when I get them cleaned.

SO, What if I said I'd pay $100 for each cone top you find if they are Rare ones. would this persuade you to pick them up? Let me know? THANKS, LEON.

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
SO, What if I said I'd pay $100 for each cone top you find if they are Rare ones. would this persuade you to pick them up? Let me know? THANKS, LEON.
I was planning to take some tops when I eventually go back. I will definitely let you know then. The problem I was having while I was digging was I was ripping them apart unknowingly because I was didn't know it was a cone too until it was too late. I am going to have to be more careful.

hemihampton

Reaction score
OK, Let me know what you find. THANKS, LEON.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu