Searching for bottles near an 1920s era farm

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
A friend of mine gave me permission to search his grandmother's property tommorrow! His house isn't very old (1970s) but the woods behind the property is part of a farm that operated in the 1920s! I looked on google maps and you can even see an old truck in the woods! Can't wait to see what this new permission will bring! I will keep you posted.

Here is a picture of the truck (in top right corner):
Screenshot (2).jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
Let me know if you find the Farmers surface dump, usually at the tree line in back. Let me know if you find any old rusty beer cans. I collect those. Good Luck. LEON.

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Let me know if you find the Farmers surface dump, usually at the tree line in back. Let me know if you find any old rusty beer cans. I collect those. Good Luck. LEON.

I found the dump! There were many cone tops, but all were not worth saving. I will keep my eye out for you. I also will post my finds when I get them cleaned.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I can save the ones not worth saving. example below. LEON.flattenedmartincone.jpgflattenedmartincone2.JPGmartinscleaned.jpg

slugplate

Reaction score
Farm dumps have become my favorite places to explore and dig. This year I have come across three and have found everything from bicycle type spoked car wheels to 1840s pontils. One thing I have come to accept is that farmers didn't have the kind of money to buy the more expensive medicines, etc., and most bottles tend to be more common than scarce. Much to my surprise, I have yet to uncover a poison bottle, a straight sided Pepsi or Coke, or an embossed flask. Anyway, the search continues.

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Farm dumps have become my favorite places to explore and dig. This year I have come across three and have found everything from bicycle type spoked car wheels to 1840s pontils. One thing I have come to accept is that farmers didn't have the kind of money to buy the more expensive medicines, etc., and most bottles tend to be more common than scarce. Much to my surprise, I have yet to uncover a poison bottle, a straight sided Pepsi or Coke, or an embossed flask. Anyway, the search continues.

Agreed! I love farm dumps becuase they are usually only surface dumps and usually produce good bottles and relics! Sometimes you will get lucky with nicer stuff though, I did find a broken Warner's Safe Nervine in one recently.

slugplate

Reaction score
It's always exciting finding relics and historical bottles. My 1927 and 1931 NJ license plates are my most recent finds and I love them.

slugplate

Reaction score
Found an plain early headlight lens at a farmers dump. It's intact but has some chips along the the perimeter... go figure. The cars of those days took a serious beating. Also, found s couple wire spoked auto wheels and enamel ware (roached). Not unusual, I found a few embossed horse liniment/medicine bottles as well. Picking through that stuff is always a thrill. One thing though, at the dump I most recently found, they loved their wine, LOL. Nothing unusual, but a lot of broken blobs and meds.

Last edited:

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Found an plain early headlight lens at a farmers dump. It's intact but has some chips along the the perimeter... go figure. The cars of those days took a serious beating. Also, found s couple wire spoked auto wheels and enamel ware (roached). Not unusual, I found a few embossed horse liniment/medicine bottles as well. Picking through that stuff is always a thrill. One thing though, at the dump I most recently found, they loved their wine, LOL. Nothing unusual, but a lot of broken blobs and meds.

I dug a farm dump once that was mostly just layers of whiskey flasks. The farmer dumping there definitely had drinking issues, lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi