Hey all. This bottle came out of Eastern Kentucky. ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Iím not sure the pictures tell the story, but the bottom has a K inside a shape (keystone/Knox?) and the number on the right looks like 1368.

The aggregate inside is noisy when shook.

I can barely make out a couple of letters on the screwcap. Iíve not tried to remove the rust on the cap but would burlap be the least destructive?

mike arthur
    843 412-1992
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5BA83148-D801-4D6A-BFF4-1C5211DBDBFE.jpg   0B0F30C4-2FD2-45ED-B127-61E41D468692.jpg   20C4FE00-D835-480F-BCC3-21AFAE16C594.jpg  
    Last edited by Mike Arthur; 11-14-2019 at 11:26 AM.

Senior Member Bottle Master WesternPA-collector's Avatar
    Welcome to the site. It's probably a 1968 bottle and that was the final year for that logo to be used by Knox Glass. Because they got sold to Glass Containers Corporation. I have no idea what is in the bottle.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    I don't think that's a date code, the bottle looks too early for 1968 to me. I'd guess it dates to the 30s, but no clue what the cap said. If you want to find out, soaking the cap in lemon juice might remove enough of the rust to be able to read it. I don't know if you'll be able to remove it or not, it depends on how badly corroded it is.

The contents look very much like black powder. I know that some civil war reenactors store black powder in jars to keep it dry.

Quote Originally Posted by RNorwood View Post
    The contents look very much like black powder. I know that some civil war reenactors store black powder in jars to keep it dry.
    thanks for your idea. Coincidentally I shoot black powder. The bottle contents were chunky and perhaps crystallized, almost metallic. Interesting thought, though.

The twist off cap has a few visible letters. M and E.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Arthur View Post
    Thanks in advance!

Iím not sure the pictures tell the story, but the bottom has a K inside a shape (keystone/Knox?) and the number on the right looks like 1368.

The aggregate inside is noisy when shook.

I can barely make out a couple of letters on the screwcap. Iíve not tried to remove the rust on the cap but would burlap be the least destructive?

mike arthur
    843 412-1992
    wonder if we can figure it together.

I've seen ink/paint dry out and look that way but unsure if it ever was packaged in a bottle like that.