Pepsola acl soda bottle Sudbury Ontario

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
just sharing a bottle I saw online when searching around google , never seen it before . appears to have been sold on the icollectors site earlier this fall for a small amount , think it was worth a lot more .

its from Brunet's beverages which was a bottler from Sudbury Ontario , have seen a few of there bottles before but there not common . they operated from the 1940's till 1956. have a few Sudbury bottles but yet to acquire one from brunet's .

it doesn't look much like a pepsi bottle but the name " pepsola ' and fact its for a cola drink . its clear they were trying to produce something similar to pepsi .
pepsi was being bottled in Sudbury but another bottler had the franchise according to my book .

pepsola-sdbury.jpgpepsola-sudbury1.jpg

https://www.icollector.com/PEPSOLA-POP-BOTTLE-SUDBURY_i34417866

Canadacan

Reaction score
Well that was certainly a play on Pepsi-Cola !!!... I wonder if Brunet's ever had any legal interactions because of their product name being so similar?

RCO

Reaction score
Well that was certainly a play on Pepsi-Cola !!!... I wonder if Brunet's ever had any legal interactions because of their product name being so similar?

I don't know anything about the history of this bottler other than it was from Sudbury and when it operated , none of its bottles seem to be easy to find . I don't even seem to have pictures of them although is a couple I've seen before at the bottle show

back then there was so many smaller bottlers making there own cola drinks , it would of been impossible for coke and pepsi to go after all of them

JKL

Reaction score
I picked a number of bottles up at an auction this summer. Around 10 for $50 if memory is correct. There were 5 or 6 Sudbury bottles, a Timmons Bottle and a couple MacDonald Beverage from North Bay.
Pepsola was one of them.
Pics are of the Pepsola and 2 of the Star Bottling bottles. I have added a pic of the bottom of the Pepsola bottle. Maybe someone can interprete the date. Not my forte!
These are the only ones I have seen other than online. (Sorry about the orientation of the pics)
Pepsola.jpgPepsola back.jpgPepsola Bottom.jpgStar y&r.jpgStar Skier.jpg

embe

Reaction score
How many bottlers were in Sudbury? Interesting how the "Enjoy" script off the last bottle is similar to Kist.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
How many bottlers were in Sudbury? Interesting how the "Enjoy" script off the last bottle is similar to Kist.
Fun fact about that bottle, the label design is a generic design used by several different unrelated bottlers. It seems that it's just a design you could order from the glassmaker. Generic bottle designs were the standard in Canada but the generic label designs are a lot less common.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Yes pretty much the same script as the Kist on the "Enjoy"
And here are two others that used a similar label design, except it's snow shoes vs cross country skis. I had not seen this Star Beverages before!

Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score

it was somewhat of a booming mining city at the time so there was more bottlers than you'd think , kist isn't listed as being bottled there but was likely being sold there .

according to my book "star bottling works " had the pepsi and 7 up franchise , Sudbury brewing and malting co had the coca cola franchise . Canada dry was also being bottled there . and was several other smaller bottlers who operated for various periods , some short lived and others longer

RCO

Reaction score
I picked a number of bottles up at an auction this summer. Around 10 for $50 if memory is correct. There were 5 or 6 Sudbury bottles, a Timmons Bottle and a couple MacDonald Beverage from North Bay.
Pepsola was one of them.
Pics are of the Pepsola and 2 of the Star Bottling bottles. I have added a pic of the bottom of the Pepsola bottle. Maybe someone can interprete the date. Not my forte!
These are the only ones I have seen other than online. (Sorry about the orientation of the pics)

surprised to see that anyone on the site had this bottle as I don't think its very common , but unsure how uncommon it is , I don't feel like any of Brunet's beverages bottles are easy to find as I rarely see them

have seen the yellow star beverage bottle , it seems to be the most common star bottle , never seen the 7 oz green label winter themed star bottle from sudbury , however have seen a green label star bottle before but its from Kirkland Lake and very similar , its posted below

there is also an embossed art deco style star bottle and a blue and white acl bottle , i'll post a picture of them , don't have this bottle but seen it online before

starkirklandlake.jpgstar-sudburyN.jpgstar-sudburyN1.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
I came across a better picture of the Star sudbury embossed bottle online , this one had been dug by a digger in Sudbury Ontario . you can see the " star " embossing and on very bottom reads " star bottling works Sudbury ont " I don't have this bottle yet but have to keep an eye out for one as its a neat one .

starbeveragesEM-sudbury.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi