Junior Member New Bottler

Interesting L.Q.C. Wishart's Pine Tree Tar Cordial

I have an L.Q.C. Wishart's Pine Tree Tar Cordial that has an interesting double impression of the "1859" date. Has anyone seen this before, and does it do anything for the value? Bottle is far from sparkling mint, but is in good shape. It would be interesting to see it tumbled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails L.Q.C. Wishart's Pine Tree Tar Cordial green 9 1-2 in. a.jpg   L.Q.C. Wishart's Pine Tree Tar Cordial green 9 1-2 in. b.jpg   L.Q.C. Wishart's Pine Tree Tar Cordial green 9 1-2 in. #336.jpg  

Senior Member Bottle Master Robby Raccoon's Avatar
    Glass slides in poorly vented molds and can put embossing all over the place. It's not a product of the engraved mould but of the glass hitting air in the mould and causing it to move. You see this most commonly in Brookfield insulators where letters and entire words or numbers slide as far as the dome and at weird angles.

Senior Member Bottle Master WesternPA-collector's Avatar
    It is a nice looking bottle even the way it is. I like the patina on it. I actually appreciate the imperfections that early bottles had. Each one was unique.
    Trying to save history, one bottle at at time.

Thanks, now I can picture how it happened.

I to love the crude imperfections of early bottles. I have an early Bromo Seltzer in aqua with a backwards "Z" I will be posting soon. Think I know how that happened, but I am curious about it's value.

Senior Member Bottle Master GLASSHOPPER55's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasg View Post
    I to love the crude imperfections of early bottles. I have an early Bromo Seltzer in aqua with a backwards "Z" I will be posting soon. Think I know how that happened, but I am curious about it's value.
    +1 So do I. So cool!
    "Digging Up the Past --- One Bottle at a Time, Since 1969"

Heck, I would suspect a fair price between $125-$175, of course it all depends on the market and on the overall condition. If you list it, I'm sure you'll get some nibbles... especially since it's Civil War era.

BTW, think carefully before tumbling it. There is a fine line with collectors about whether to tumble a bottle or not. The patina and iridescence are important to some collectors.

Wondered about that, thanks.