found a Howdy - Club Soda can

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
not a bottle but a can , found this the other day and couldn't find anything out about it . nothing I found online indicates Howdy made club soda . it seem odd that they ever made club soda as they were known for flavoured drinks and already several club sodas on the market ( Canada dry , Schweppes and many store brands )

the can site has cans posted for six different flavours - Cola , Cream soda , Grape , Ginger Ale , Orange , Root Beer ,

this design of can was used in Canada in the early to mid 70's which was the general age of most of the items found in that dump . this can wasn't actually found in the main dump but 20 - 30 feet away under a tree with a couple other rusty cans but appeared to be the only one there .

which explains why it still has a lot of colour and might clean up a little more , the blue and white stands out , the French side only says " soda " for some reason

also another clue that its old , noticed it only says " 10 fluid oz " doesn't have ml's like the other howdy cans online did , on the side says " dominion seven-up company limited , Toronto Canada "

just wondering if anyone had seen or heard of Howdy club soda before ?

DSC02256.jpgDSC02258.jpg

Last edited:

iggyworf

Reaction score
Hey cool can find! I have seen the other flavors but not that one either.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Yup new to me!...awesome find!. Not surprising it showed up as Howdy was 7up's flavor line, so this means there is more than likely a Tonic water and most flavor lines that had club soda and tonic also had bitter lemon.
This can falls in line with the earliest RB can listed in the Canadian Soda Can Archive, also an aluminum pull top, none of this generation of Howdy cans have been found in a Flat top.

RCO

Reaction score
Yup new to me!...awesome find!. Not surprising it showed up as Howdy was 7up's flavor line, so this means there is more than likely a Tonic water and most flavor lines that had club soda and tonic also had bitter lemon.
This can falls in line with the earliest RB can listed in the Canadian Soda Can Archive, also an aluminum pull top, none of this generation of Howdy cans have been found in a Flat top.

RB can ? wasn't sure what that referred to . thinking its from the late 60's or early 70's , Canada switched to metric by the mid 70's so it would likely be from the early 70's before the switch

maybe howdy club soda was a shorted lived product ? would seem odd for them to need such a line when there was already so much of it being produced already . would agree it make sense that there was also a tonic water and maybe bitter lemon

RCO

Reaction score
Hey cool can find! I have seen the other flavors but not that one either.

it was an unusual find , at the time decided I should do a circle check of that dump site just in case anything else was in the general area , guess my gut feeling paid off .

too bad it wasn't in better condition but I guess its mostly all there and found a lot of cans ( many that weren't even this old ) that were in way worse shape

Canadacan

Reaction score
Oh I meant Root Beer-RB...here is the photo.
Yes it may seem odd but that was pretty normal for these companies to carry a full line of products. 7up had Howdy, Pepsi had the Patio line, Crush owned many other regional and nationals...I don't think Coke did though?
But quite often from what I see the mixer flavors are way less common... like my recent acquisition of a Patio Club soda from about the early 80's

file.php

RCO

Reaction score
Oh I meant Root Beer-RB...here is the photo.
Yes it may seem odd but that was pretty normal for these companies to carry a full line of products. 7up had Howdy, Pepsi had the Patio line, Crush owned many other regional and nationals...I don't think Coke did though?
But quite often from what I see the mixer flavors are way less common... like my recent acquisition of a Patio Club soda from about the early 80's

definitely the same design as the first root beer can , hard to determine how long this product was produced , have to wonder if it lasted as long as the other flavours ?

wish I had found it sooner , have literally driven by the spot where I found it 100's of times , for some reason didn't know there was cans there till this spring but I had originally found this location in 2012 , at the time found a small corked Listerine bottle but never explored the general area further perhaps cause it was too grown in or worried that people might wonder what I was doing there .

but pretty certain there is no other howdy cans there , it seemed to be the only one and it wasn't part of the main dump ( which didn't include any howdy cans at all )

jimlahman

Reaction score
Howdy gen1.jpgThis is on eBay right now. I thought you'd like to see it. First generation can.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi