Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ellie

Reaction score
Hi! This is my first post here, I'm Ellie!

I was in Georgia over the past week and i happened to find a old 1942 7up bottle in a creek near Cleveland. I'm cleaning it up and stuff but the ACL seems to be all intact with just some minor scratches. The date code is all there and easily readable and there's no cracks or large dings in the glass. I'll gladly add pictures to the post once I'm done cleaning it up but I was just wondering if that would be enough to get a rough estimate on the value of the bottle. I don't plan on selling it any time soon but I like to keep track of the value of items in my collections hehe

IMG_7297.jpg
IMG_7298.jpg

Last edited:

Canadacan

Reaction score
The biggest determining factor is condition, secondly weather it's and 8 bubble or 7 bubble. In general they can go from 10.00 to over a 100.
You can also view current selling prices on ebay by searching ended listings, but remember the selling price on there can be higher than the value and in some cases lower.
Also some city variations that are hard to find can bring a little more.

BTW welcome to AB!!!

Ivan

RCO

Reaction score
being that it was found in a creek I'd wonder about the condition , although its still possible to find acl's in good condition outdoors but becoming less common as time goes on and they've been outdoors longer

it should also have a city name on the back , certain towns and cities are harder to find

Ellie

Reaction score
being that it was found in a creek I'd wonder about the condition , although its still possible to find acl's in good condition outdoors but becoming less common as time goes on and they've been outdoors longer

it should also have a city name on the back , certain towns and cities are harder to find

I'm not sure what condition this ACL would be considered, but I must say that I was very surprised to see that it was all there! The back of the bottle says Athens, Georgia, which isn't *too* far from where I found it. I cleaned it up a bit to get the layer of clay dust and stuff off of it but it can def do with a bit more cleaning at some point hehe.

Heres a couple pictures, let me know if you need any more!

IMG_7298.jpgIMG_7297.jpg

Ellie

Reaction score
The biggest determining factor is condition, secondly weather it's and 8 bubble or 7 bubble. In general they can go from 10.00 to over a 100.
You can also view current selling prices on ebay by searching ended listings, but remember the selling price on there can be higher than the value and in some cases lower.
Also some city variations that are hard to find can bring a little more.

BTW welcome to AB!!!

Ivan

Thanks Ivan! The bottle is (as far as I can tell) in pretty fair condition, and it's a 7 bubble. I posted pictures in another reply, and it's an Athens, Georgia variation.

iggyworf

Reaction score
Hey Ellie! That looks in good condition for finding it in a creek. I looks like a fairly common 7up, missing the red pigment on the ACL. I would guess on value anywhere from just 5$ to 15$. The numbers on the bottom will usually tell you the plant and the year also.

Ellie

Reaction score
It’s a 1942! From my understanding; from 1942-1945 there was no red anywhere on the ACL since red pigments were needed for war efforts. There’s a scripted word embossed over the date code on the base of the bottle, is that the plant? Or is the “Athens, GA” the plant? I did find it not too far from Athens.

Attachments

• 16540E7C-79E3-4984-ADAF-149F9395CF28.jpg
    16540E7C-79E3-4984-ADAF-149F9395CF28.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 463

iggyworf

Reaction score

RCO

Reaction score
It’s a 1942! From my understanding; from 1942-1945 there was no red anywhere on the ACL since red pigments were needed for war efforts. There’s a scripted word embossed over the date code on the base of the bottle, is that the plant? Or is the “Athens, GA” the plant? I did find it not too far from Athens.

they used the swimsuit design into the 50's so might not be from the 40's , your bottle would of had " orange " paint around the 7 up wording on the front but faded off from being outdoors so long . I recall finding a very similar looking 7 up bottle a couple years ago , that's what happens to the paint when left outdoors for decades as it was likely left there in the 40's or 50's era

but still a neat find , I enjoy finding the old 7 up bottles , someone in my area must of had a thing for 7 up back in the days as I often find them here and seemed to find a lot along one specific road for some reason

here is a picture of the bottle I found in 2017 in a small dump , the front is all white like yours , the orange paint faded off , the colour seems to faded away earlier on this bottle and white remains longer

7upladyMR.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi