Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ellie

Reaction score
they used the swimsuit design into the 50's so might not be from the 40's ,

Ah, that would make sense! I read somewhere that Owens Illinois used a dot next to the number to the right of the logo on the base to indicate it was a 40s bottle, before changing their date code format again later down the road. Would you, or anyone here, know if this is true?

Ellie

Reaction score
Now THAT'S very interesting. So, is it likely that it did​ have red pigment but that just faded already?

iggyworf

Reaction score
Ellie, your bottle is from 1942. Yes Owens used a 'dot' after the number to signify what '1940's' yr it was then they switched to using 2 numbers from then on. Like 56 for 1956 ect. I also have some 7ups missing the red on them. But I never found any in the wild.

Ellie

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for confirming that hehe.

This is the first bottle I've found and I think it would look pretty weird to me if I find a 7up with red after this lmao

RCO

Reaction score
Now THAT'S very interesting. So, is it likely that it did​ have red pigment but that just faded already?

I'm pretty sure it would of had orange paint on the front label

found a picture online of a similar bottle from Athens GA , only difference from yours is wording on back slightly different , yours seems to have an extra line where it mentions bottle is not to be used for any other drink , perhaps that was only on the earlier ones and removed later on

s-l1600.jpgs-l16001.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
Ellie, your bottle is from 1942. Yes Owens used a 'dot' after the number to signify what '1940's' yr it was then they switched to using 2 numbers from then on. Like 56 for 1956 ect. I also have some 7ups missing the red on them. But I never found any in the wild.

I have a box in the garage full of damaged 7 up bottles that I mostly found when swimming , lots didn't have the label on them or all white . I'm pretty sure these bottles did have orange paint on them originally and it faded away from being outdoors

but her bottle is older than I realised as I found a picture online of a similar lady bottle from that area and the wording is slightly different , so it does seem to be an earlier version used in the 40's not the 50's

Ellie

Reaction score
wow! that one looks really nice ngl lmao. I thought the red would look kinda weird but that actually looks really cool imo.

RCO

Reaction score
( I did some deeper research , appears there was a brief period in ww2 when they didn't use colour on the front label on US bottles , ( not sure if they also did in Canada as can't recall seeing such bottles ) , so your bottle might not of had colour if its definitely from 42 , but pretty much all 7 up bottles used orange on the front label except those ones )

The exception occurred during
World War II, but the exact dates have not
been published that I know of. The swim
suit bottle lost its red-orange shield –
probably, sometime between 1942 and
1945 (
Figure 10). The red pigment was
saved for war use. With peace, the redorange
shield returned.

http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/thesodafizz/SevenUp_BLockhart.pdf

iggyworf

Reaction score
RCO, forgot about that article. I have it in my 7up file. I have 3 bottles with no red/orange shield on them. one of them clearly has the 'ghost' ACL of the red/orange paint. But the others it's almost impossible to tell if the had the red/orange paint.

Burkenhill

Reaction score
Hi Ellie,

Your bottle is certainly in reasonable condition notwithstanding that it has been out in the weather and the red/orange shield colouring has disappeared. The back label is back label #3 which is typical in bottles from 1940-1948 according to the most extensive research done by professor Bill Lockhart in his detailed article, "Bottles on the Border: The History and Bottles of the Soft Drink Industry in El Paso, Texas, 1881-2000" wherein he goes into a lot of detail of the numerous back labels on 7up ACL bottles. Your picture doesn't show the swim lady very well but it appears that she may have only 1 foot, which makes the bottle a little more interesting but probably doesn't change the value much. By 1942 the swim lady usually has 2 feet. As stated elsewhere in this thread, I concur that its value is +/- $10, though with the red/orange missing on the shield many would be buyers have a lot of comparable bottles available in more complete original condition for equal or lower prices.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora