Gettysburg Pitkin Flask, 1790's?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

photolith

Reaction score
Got this bottle today in Gettysburg, it looks like a Pitkin Flask from around 1810 or so, maybe ever 1790 or maybe 1830, who knows. Either way, its 1790-1830 I believe. However, it doesn't have a flat base so it cant site up like a normal Pitkin Flask. Anyone know what the technical name for this bottle would be? I have never seen one quite like it, but had to have it. Obviously this wasn't made in Gettysburg, Im thinking it was probably made in Mass, although they also made similar glass in Pittsburgh a little bit later.

Untitled by photolitherland, on Flickr

Last edited:

yacorie

Reaction score
Hi photolith. Great flask.

i sent your pictures to one of the premier pitkin collectors to see what they had to say.

the flask is definitely not a Pitkin because it lacks the half-post which is where the 2nd layer of glass below the neck would stop. Based on the form and the color they said it’s most likely of Midwest origin. Apparently, lots of swirled flasks were made in that region. With regards to the base not being flat, that is simply the decision made by the glass blower at the time.

either way it’s a great piece

photolith

Reaction score
Awesome thanks, so is the date range about 1830 or so for it?

yacorie

Reaction score
So people have asked if the flask has any wear marks. A few have suggested that the pontil looks suspect so th eh were looking for wear marks. Does the bottle have any? It may also be European (Norway).

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marenjch