Tips for digging in southern Florida.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ellie

Reaction score
So, I'm very new to bottle hunting (very new as in; found 2 bottles while on vacation last week and is now hooked) and I really want to get more into it. The 2 bottles I found were found almost 700 miles from where I live, and there is a pretty big difference between where I live and where I found them.

I live in the southwestern tip of Florida, near Naples, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with bottle hunting in this area. Is there much here? Were there any bottling plants in this area? I did some searching on the internet myself but couldn't find much, so any info is very greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

photolith

Reaction score
Im sure there antique bottles hanging around down there, however not that many people lived in that part of FL until after the 1800's. For instance, Naples was founded only in 1880 and basically nobody lived there until the 1940's and that age of bottles isn't really collectible, unless they're ACL sodas and milks. But, I've never really been to Florida for bottles, so Im not really sure. Id imagine most of the antique bottles to be dug would be around St. Augustine and Miami area.

Ellie

Reaction score
Id imagine most of the antique bottles to be dug would be around St. Augustine and Miami area.

That's what I was thinking, there seems to be way more history up there. Too bad I'm not up that way too often lol. I'll def be keeping my eyes out whenever I am​ up there though!

sandchip

Reaction score
Welcome to both the hobby and the forum, Ellie! It's been 45 years since bottles hooked me and I'm just as excited by them as I was when I was 14. There are some good shows in Florida that I would encourage you to attend where you can see bottles and chat with likeminded folks. I used to go the St. Pete show every January at the old Armory. What a great show it was. I got out of the habit after having kids and all. I think it has moved to the south side of the bay since then. Best of luck to you.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora