Pick my detector!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rcn72679

Reaction score
Alright! There's just too many options & I don't know which one is best for my condition. Which would you choose if you had 140 acres that's been used for cattle, crops & forestry since forever. There's 2 old foundations & MANY long ravines & low places. Money is not an issue, but I don't want some huge item that will not suit my conditions. The rocks/soil has a lot of alkaline metal in it. Here are 3 companies that I've seen tossed around! It doesn't have to be one of these either, any other brand that you would think would be better fitting!

http://www.detecting.com/products/

http://206.188.2.79/

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/detectorlineup.php#eseries

Thanks once again[:)]

cobaltbot

Reaction score
If $ is not an issue I'd get a White's DFX, their top of the line detector, but almost any top of the line model would be just as good.

rcn72679

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cobaltbot

If $ is not an issue I'd get a White's DFX, their top of the line detector, but almost any top of the line model would be just as good.

Yeah that one seems to cover it all!! That's a nice one!

I don't want something either though that I'm spending money on features I'll never use...kwim? I guess I don't want buyer's remorse...LOL!

cc6pack

Reaction score
I found out a long time ago, buying a cheap detector does not pay off. I haven't detected in a few years so I can't help you with the most recent detectors. White in my opinion makes one of the best machines around, Garrett is very good also, Fisher, Torroseo(sp) and a few others.

A lot has to do with soil in your area as you have stated. Are there any dealers in you area that sell detectors? You can call one of the manufacturers and they should be able to tell you handles their machine in your area. In my experience service on the detector is very important, more for the turn around time than any thing else.

What will you be using the detector for, finding the dump sites, coin shooting, relics? Along these lines if depth is a deciding factor you might want to consider getting a larger head for more depth along with the one that comes with the machine. Good luck with whatever you decide.

rcn72679

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cc6pack

I found out a long time ago, buying a cheap detector does not pay off. I haven't detected in a few years so I can't help you with the most recent detectors. White in my opinion makes one of the best machines around, Garrett is very good also, Fisher, Torroseo(sp) and a few others.

A lot has to do with soil in your area as you have stated. Are there any dealers in you area that sell detectors? You can call one of the manufacturers and they should be able to tell you handles their machine in your area. In my experience service on the detector is very important, more for the turn around time than any thing else.

What will you be using the detector for, finding the dump sites, coin shooting, relics? Along these lines if depth is a deciding factor you might want to consider getting a larger head for more depth along with the one that comes with the machine. Good luck with whatever you decide.

No dealers that I'm aware of, but I'll check the yellow pages again! Thanks for the other names of makers!!! I'll be using it to find anything & everything. Nothing in particular! I just love findin' old stuff, even though I particular love bottles.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
I use a Whites Spectrum XLT also. It is a fine machine and relatively easy to use. I also use a Garretts 750. It is also a good machine but no longer available new. The number changed to a 1350 I believe. I would recommend either of these. I WOULD NOT recommend a Radio Shack or Wal Mart special. Hope this helps, Kelley

rcn72679

Reaction score
Now my husband, the engineer[8|]...LOL...wants to know what the difference is between a mid-grade & high-grade metal detector? Is there a frequency output difference & does it really pay to have multiple frequences?

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Renee, I've had a Minelab Explorer with 28 frequency's. I did not like that detector. Used it 6 months and still didn't like it. This is my opinion only. All brands of detectors have a top, middle, and bottom line detector. Most of the higher end models have a lot more bells and whistles. You don't need this ( in my humble opinion) A quality 1 frequency detector will serve you as well as any multiple frequency. If being a metal detectorist becomes your life's work, you may want to reconsider. However, I still stand by my quote " DO NOT GET A CHEAP RADIO Shack" detector. You will only loose interest really quick. Kelley

rcn72679

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Gunsmoke47

Hey Renee, I've had a Minelab Explorer with 28 frequency's. I did not like that detector. Used it 6 months and still didn't like it. This is my opinion only. All brands of detectors have a top, middle, and bottom line detector. Most of the higher end models have a lot more bells and whistles. You don't need this ( in my humble opinion) A quality 1 frequency detector will serve you as well as any multiple frequency. If being a metal detectorist becomes your life's work, you may want to reconsider. However, I still stand by my quote " DO NOT GET A CHEAP RADIO Shack" detector. You will only loose interest really quick. Kelley

Oh I definately won't buy a cheapo simply because I plan on doin' this awhile. I don't plan on makin' this my job, just a hobby for hopefully a long time!!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94