back to the past

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

maineahh62

Reaction score
hello every one, the weather here in maine has been great for bottle digging these past few day's, aside from the tick's and the inch long gash i recived from a shard of glass, it has been some what fruitful, i just wanted to share my find's with you all.

a nice clear embossed bottle- linden on one side and new jersey on the other side embossed with capital letter's.

a nice rawleighs bottle- embossed with rawleighs in curseve on the front-it has a nice green tint to it.

a clear ball ideal jar- embossed with ball ideal pat d july 14 1908 on the front and the number one on the bottom

a very nice hood milk bottle-embossed on one side with- store-h.p. hood & sons dairy experts registered- embossed on the other side with- maine seal L52- one pint- hood- bottom is embossed with hood store 1939.

another milk bottle no name it has embossed on it - one quart liquid- maine seal 1- h b 169- embossed on the bottom with hTs and a 9 embossed in a circle.

the milk bottles after being in the ground and being washed still have the milk smell.

also i dug up a fork and a spoon the spoon seem's thin once i get some brasso to it i'm hopeing it will be made of silver, hopeing.

all these find's came from the spot were i discoverd my first bottle's some umpteen million years ago, it was good to go back to this spot and dig after all these years, there is definitly incrochment now and i doubt i will ever be able to dig it again after this year, new homes going up in the area are eating away at that piece of the past, i had a great time out there these past two days and just wanted to share.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your injury, Tim. Can you tell us how it happened -- it might be instructive for other diggers.

-------------Harry Pristis

luvtodig

Reaction score
Hey Tim..I too I am sorry to hear about your injury[:(] hope it is not too bad..also understand the tick thing...they seem to be thriving here..loved reading your post...so sad that a part of history is again being destroyed by development[&o] intresting to read about milk bottles, not something I have a lot of experience in..tonight talking with boyfriends brother, he tells me that there is a ditch in town that has old milk bottles in it...what should I be looking for?? I take it that embossing is good ( of course)[;)] any advice greatly appreciated...thanks!! [:)] hope you can find more bottles before it is too late..

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Tim, hope you cleaned that nasty out! I guess that's a hazzard of our addiction. Hope your's isn't too bad, of course Gunsmoke would say an inch long gash was just a 'scratch', he being from Texas and all.[8D] Just a WAG, is your cut somwhere other than your hand? I seem to get mine anywhere but, especially when I get tired or careless and kneel or sit on something I shouldn't have.[:mad:][8D]

Kim

Reaction score
Hi Tim
Sorry to hear you have an injury. After my hubby's latest experience with a nasty cut to the instep of the foot, five weeks off work and xrays etc.. I will stress to you to keep the wound very clean and dry, digging in dirt is not a good idea[X(]. (Just mothering) I figure the weather has improved over your way.

WARNING!
All Maine diggers are out and about!!

Goodluck all!!
Regards Kim

maineahh62

Reaction score
hello everyone, thank you all for reading my post and responding back, harry, i recived my cut when i broke my shovel handle when i was trying to get around some root's and a rock, as i sat there in dissapointment wondering if i should just go home i had the brilliant idea of useing a branch to finish my dig, i must say it was going well, slow but well, as i was digging i had to use a little more force to break up the ground and when i was on the downward motion and my hand hit the dirt my thumb was sliced open by a piece of glass, stupid? yes, i was to excited about my dig to stop and go home when my shovel first broke, i wraped my thumb in tissue paper and spent the remainder of the day digging, when i went back out yesterday i was armed with a new shovel, a potato rake, new gloves and bandaid's, and norm i hear you on the kneeling, i am alway's being careful when i need to shift or turn or neel, and let's face it we are constantly shifting our positions and we need our hand's and knee's to do this sometime's, but alot of time's we are dealing with more broken glass than whole, and susanne, as far as the milk bottles, definitely dig them up for sure,they are beautiful bottle's and lot's of pepole collect them, another part of the past that went the way of the milkman, i remember as a kid the milkman and the bakersman would come to our house once a week, certainly dont see that around here anymore, and susanne, embossing in my opinion gives a bottle great character, i love to put my bottles on there side so i can see the embossing, kim thank you for your kind advice, i certainly will take it to heart, thank you all again for your concern and your responces.[:)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis