a day in maine

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

maineahh62

Reaction score
hello everyone, today in maine the weather is great, blue sky and small puffy white cloud's, a great day for a dig, i headed out this morning about 10:00, i was combing some wood's that brought me to a field, i found a rock foundation from a old home, i explored the area and found it to be promising, a old field tiller with the metal wheel's, a body of an old truck, chain's and wood pieces, after zig zagging the area i found some old pail's and milk bucket's over an embankment, along with old time coffee pot's, to much rust to save, i began to dig into the embankment and began to unearth many top's of applied lip bottes, lot's of broken glass and broken pieces of pottery type jug's, then i unearthed a phillips milk of magnesia bottle, embossed with phillips like this- phillips' milk of magnesia - reg'd in u.s. pat office- aug.21.1906, there are no seam's through the lip, a nice light blue color, also 3 chas h fletcher's bottles,with nice green tint's to them also 2 clear bottles, they are about 6 inch's tall both have the seams stopping half way up the neck, one has 2 oz embossed on it, also a older bottle, it is very dark in color brown or black, not sure, the lip has scar mark's and it seem's to have a smaller top under the top lip, the bottom is indented and the neck seem's to have a twist to it, not to bad a day for a blind search, it seemed like the more i dug into the ground and surrounding leaves the more the black fly's would attack, it was a very hot and sweaty day, add the black flys and tick's and you have your self a tough dig, i did have some refuge on the way out a brook provided some much needed cool water, it was very refreshing, i wetted my shirt and put it on for the hike out, all in all not a bad day, i hope you all are haveing good luck with your dig's.

Kim

Reaction score
Hi Tim
Sounds like a great day out, one where you really feel you did something for the day and had some nice finds along the way. Often when I come home after a day out I am wearing dust like it is foundation (womens face make up for those who don't know what foundation is) the trouble is that it's not that attractive hehe. The ticks sound a bit worrying. When you come home do you have to do a body search for them? How do you prevent them getting into your skin? Flies can be a nuisence here but they sound horrific where you are.
Anyway, congrats on your finds, well worth the effort.
Regards Kim

maineahh62

Reaction score
hello kim, thank you for reading my post and responding, yes on the tick search, i found 3 on me when i got home, when i have one burrowed in my skin i heat up the end of some tweezers and touch it to the head of the tick, they seem not to like it and sometimes they come out on there own, other wise i gently try to remove it without leaveing the head imbeded, lyme disease is a concern, i was reading your post to norm regarding takeing pic's of our actual digging area, i will remember this and start photoing my dig's as they happen, i wish i could post my pic's instead of just describeing them, i need to invest in a computer cam and a scanner so i can post pic's, bottle digging is not new to me but this forum sure is, i really had no idea that so many other's have the same genuine intrest, have a great day kim.

Kim

Reaction score
Morning Tim!
You can pick up digital cameras at a reasonable price these days. All you need is a camera and a software package (which usually comes with the purchase), this would probably work out cheaper than a scanner etc.. and they are loads of fun.
My uncle become very ill because of a tick in his back, rotten little suckers. We have no ticks where I live but I am going up north in the very near future and there are ticks up that way, gives me the heeby jeebies[&:] thinking about them. I get the same feeling when I dig a 4' Centipede(?spelling) out of the ground.
Regards Kim

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky