Ever run an ad to dig?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

flasherr

Reaction score
I was wondering has anyone ever run an ad for a place to dig? I have been having problems finding places to dig and I so want to dig. I would be happy digging anything from 1960s back. if you have run an ad how did you word it and did you have any luck? Any other suggestions on how to find places is much appreciated I live in Texas and most everything has a fence around and we are touchy about trespassers.
Thank you for any help you might have Brian

IRISH

Reaction score
oz-riley has put an ad in a local newspaper for very little response, but there is no harm it trying [;)] your ad may get you a heap of spots. You are probably best to mention how responsible you are and how you clean up rubbish after the dig, most farmers are worried about broken glass so if they are sure you will pick it all up you may have a better chance.

Kim

Reaction score
Hi All
It's a shame you were not here in Aussie. I would like to go dig a privy but I would be keen to take an experienced person with me. There are a few older homes (1800's) to investigate but I am hesitant. I will have to try a wrangle the aussies from the forum around to do a couple of digs lol[:D]. I might have to advertise for somebody to do it!!
It is so hard to get to know contacts but an ad may work, often, when you get your foot in the door it just flows from there.
~Goodluck~
Kim

IRISH

Reaction score
Kim, I will turn up on your doorstep one day with my bottle probe and metal detector [;)] .

Kim

Reaction score
Hey Irish
You are more than welcome[:D]. Be prepared!! We could find anything. When you have some spare time make sure you do[8D]. I would expect that there would be more than one privy at one place, wouldn't they move them a few times over the years?
Linc and I thought we might venture down your way after QLD and camp for a while in the district, but we will wait until the onset of spring, brrr! too cold down there for winter camping[&:]. I am a whimp when it comes to the cold.
Regards Kim

swizzle

Reaction score
This is what I put in a local monthly newsletter.It has got me 1 dump and 2 more potentials I'll be checking out this month.

WANTED: HOMEOWNER'S PERMISSION TO SEARCH OLD STONE WALLS, CELLAR HOLES AND WELLS. LOOKING FOR ITEM'S OF HISTORICAL SIGNIFIGANCE. WILL SPLIT FINDS WITH OWNER. CALL xxx-xxxx. You can re-word it to suit your needs. You might want to add that your looking to donate items to local museums. If the museum is interested in your finds you can have them displayed for a set time and come back later and get them. I did that with my hometown museum and got my bottles and artifacts back after the summer rush. Seeing those older bottles sitting on your window is nice but I like to know that other people can enjoy the view too. There's to many of us are out there with closets full of nice bottles, call your local museums and see if they are interested. Swiz

Mainepontil

Reaction score
That may work in some areas but I think it's just stirring the pot. The last thing us diggers want are non-diggers(homeowners) thinking they have valuable bottles waiting to be dug. Before long nobody will give permission because they will want to dig it themselves.

I think knocking on doors is the best method. Advertising will just increase competition and lower the permission rate.

One effective method may be to advertise a dump clean up service.

Something like this.

"Do you have an old trash dump on your property? Broken glass and trash is a safety hazzard to pets and children. I specialize in removing and resurfacing old trash dumps, Call for details.

Joel

swizzle

Reaction score
You might quickly get overwhelmed with newer dumps. Once you advertise that, anyone with a scrap heap or junk pile will be calling you and you would be obligated to give them an answer or reason why you can't dig out their new dump. I live in a small town and my add worked for me. I do agree with you though that its not the right thing to do in every town or city. I live next to a wildreness preserve that's loaded with excellent places to dig. Unfortunately its off limits to diggers. I should probably take another look at my add and tear it apart and reword it. I'm not very good at the door to door thing. I feel that this was a good way to let 100's of people know that I'm looking for local history. Originally I placed the add to find places to metal detect. I wasn't even thinking about bottles. I had coin caches on my mind. The 3rd person that answered my add is a real friendly old guy. He didn't want to know what I was looking for. Just started talking about a cool vinger bottle he once had until he dropped it. The old guy got me interested in bottles again. I've been collecting bottles for as long as I can remember. I just this year started to really dig for them. I guess for me the add is just a starting point to find caches. If I stir up a little competition in the process, then so be it. There's a lot of different types of treasure hunting and a lot of places to check for different kinds of treasure. A well worded add could lead you to a better hunting grounds. If your afraid of large groups of people honing in on your treasure spot, then try posting a business type card in a laundry mat or local store. Swiz

Mainepontil

Reaction score
I didn't mean any disrespect Swizzle, sorry if it came off that way. I think your add is definately cool and worded just fine.

It's just cut throat in my area. People are developing and posting land at lightning speeds. You need to be stealth up here, there is not much undug stuff left so the competition is tight. It's not just the other local diggers on this forum, I consider them allies, it's everyone else I worry about.

Joel

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1