Finally got my listings on eBay!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Pontiled

Reaction score
After fighting eBay's TurboLister program, I got some of my listings on eBay! It took several downloads and several deletions, but they're up and the program's doing as it should. Look up "Dumfries" and you'll see them.

The eBay TurboLister board was absolutely no help at all (just warning you if you ever have the same problems/questions).

luvtodig

Reaction score
Well Jules you can help me..I have never bought anything on Ebay nor sold anything..but in the near future I would like to start by selling some things..no bottles[:D] I know it is amazing in this day and age that there is someone out here who has not managed to get into the Ebay thing[:eek:] Please feel free to email me with some suggestions on how to get started..I have gone to Ebay to read their help page, and I was lost...thanks for any help[:)] have a good day!

Pontiled

Reaction score
Jules and Suzanne, I would be glad to help you, any way I can. I've been with eBay since the stone age! Some things may be difficult in choosing the best category for them, but the most often asked question is "What's the best way to present the item" to my potential customers?

Honesty is the best approach to keep customers coming back and a clear photo to get their attention in the beginning.

kumtow

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have been buying on eBay for about 3 years and have only just started selling my spare bottles. Maybe I should rephrase that, selling the ones I don't have a great deal of interest in.
I sold two gins on Friday last week, sent the invoices out via eBay and have not heard from either high bidder since. I emailed a copy of the invoice directly to one of the buyers and received a reply this morning. She stated she sent me an email (13th May) via eBay requesting some more info but I have not received it. She included a copy of her original email and it clearly shows she sent it via eBay.
My question is. Is it better to send invoices directly to the buyer and bypass eBays invoice system??? I must admit, the majority of invoices I have received as a buyer have come directly from the seller and not via eBay.
Does anybody out there have issues with invoicing through eBay???

Alan

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Hi Alan

I've done invoices both ways - sending my own and using the eBay form. I've had no problems with the eBay invoices and since they have your address and the item price total already incorporated it saves a little time.

Sam

luvtodig

Reaction score
thank - you Mike (Pontiled)[:D] There seems to be good and bad stories about Ebay..makes me a bit nervous to get started[&:] Just this morning on the local news, a couple in Southern Illinois was mad at PayPal..seems they set up an account, using their Debit card, which of course is taken directly out of their checking account...they then say an identity theif stole their info and ran up ATM withdrawls in Spain...they say that PayPal is the only place they gave that info to..On the other hand I have heard that many people were very happy with Ebay and use it all the time..I guess where this is all going is..how do you get started? is PayPal as secure as Ebay says it is?? are there other members out there who have had bad or good experiences?? Thanks for any answers to my questions[:)] have a great day!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Susanne, here's my two bits regarding e-bay. I started selling there about two months ago and my experience has been mostly positive. Mike (pontiled) is correct, it's all in the presentation when it comes to a successful listing. Pictures and a detailed discription including condition are essential. If you're selling a bottle that has a 'nic' on the lip, be sure to disclose it. I purchased $32 worth of marbles last month based on the pictures only to find that many were damaged when I received them. In subsequent discussions with the seller, I believe he made an honest mistake; he didn't deliberately withold info regarding condition. The marbles were part of a large estate sale, and he just passed them along as is, the kicker was the one marble that caught my eye, leading to my bid was one of the damaged ones.[:eek:] Fortunately, there are many marbles worth $10 or more in the lot, and the box he shipped them in is a collectible as well.[:)] So if you're bidding on anything be sure to ask the buyer about condition![;)] The other thing to keep in mind is the Shipping & Handling charges, I was charged $6.00 S&H for a 98 cent auction[:mad:] I gave a 'neutral' feedback for the seller, He said the S&H only seemed high in comparison to the auction price. My response was then why was I able to get 4 times as many marbles from a seller in Arizona for less than a third S&H from him who is in the state (NH) next door to me?[&:] He had no response to that.[8D]

luvtodig

Reaction score
Thanks you guys[:D] You all have been very helpful..I guess when I am ready I will just have to jump in..if it is alright with you all, I will just e mail my questions to you..Norm, I will watch the S&H I have heard that it can get costly..sounds like you got some good marbles out of it..too bad the one you were taken with was damanged[&o] alos it sounds like there is some trouble with the invoice system...hope they work the bugs out of it..thank-you Jules for all the info, and the offer of help[:)] As I have said before this is a wonderful forum..everyone is so nice and helpful..I enjoy my time here...hope you all have a good day!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Hey, Julie . . .

What is your rationale for charging anything for shipping and handling?

The Postal Service provides free boxes and mailing tape. Crumpled newspaper makes adequate packing material (plus there is endless salvage packing material if you search for it).

I have completed 138 transactions on eBay, most are sales. I never felt the need to add a surcharge for S&H -- I feel that my time and packing materials are the cost of doing business.

When I see eBay sellers who demand a S&H fee of whatever amount, it annoys me. So, I don't bid (after all, there are endless other auctions for desirable bottles). I can't be the only potential bidder who reacts this way. The implication is that the dollar S&H fee may actually be costing you money.

I've wanted to ask this question of some sellers on eBay; and now that you bring it up here, Julie, I am asking you.

-----------------Harry Pristis

kumtow

Reaction score
G'Day Julie & others
I started selling on eBay 3 weeks ago. With the first sales I had no problems with emails at all. The auctions that finished a week ago are becomming real problems for me. Seems a buyer in Florida has not received any of my emails but I am receiving them from her. She did receive my invoice via ebay. I forgot to send her some info and she has been trying to email me to get it. I have now sent her 4 emails via both ebay and hotmail and she hasn't received any of them. I've just sent her another email from my work email system so I hope she gets that one. I also have a buyer in the Gold Coast Australia and I have heard nothing from him at all.
I have not upgraded to the Beta "my ebay", but something is wrong. I dunno. I should add these buyers have 100% positive feedback and the comments are Great Communications and fast payer.
Alan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky