NEW ENGLAND Embossed Sodas

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Here are a couple of soda-type bottles which I "rescued" at a Florida flea market a few months ago. (A "rescue" is when I don't really collect this sort of bottle, but I hope to find the rescuee a new home where it will be appreciated.) [8|]

Both of these bottles are ABM-made with no bottom marks.

The aqua bottle is embossed:
REGISTERED
BERRY SPRING MINERAL
WATER CO.
LTD.
((logo: a plus sign or a short-legged cross with 360-degree radiations))
TRADE MARK
PAWTUCKET, R.I. U.S.A.

On the reverse heel is embossed:
8 FL. OZ.
23N 2
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

The emerald green bottle is embossed in a band at midsection:
CLOVIS MORNEAULT PRESQUE ISLE, ME.

On the heel is embossed:
CONTENTS 7 1/2 FL. OZ. REGISTERED

Both these bottles are a long way from home. Any info on rarity or value these two would be appreciated.

-----------Harry Pristis

Bz78592.jpg

David E

Reaction score
Harry I am going to quess Eastern Canada because that one name may be French and don't beleive we have companies in USA that are LTD.

Dave (back to pester u)

David E

Reaction score
Probally half and half
ORIGINAL: David E

Harry I am going to quess Eastern Canada because that one name may be French and don't beleive we have companies in USA that are LTD.

Dave (back to pester u)

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Hey, David . . .

Presque Isle, Maine, is just a stone's throw from Canada. And that is an unusual, French-sounding name. But that is not the "LTD" bottle.

The bottle with the the "LTD" is marked "PAWTUCKET, R. I." Pawtucket is not anywhere close to Canada.

But you raise an interesting question: Is "INC" or "LTD" anything more than a common usage, a convention, when attached to a company name? I suspect that each is more of a prestige device, a bit of puffery, than anything else.

I believe that there is some equivalence; both refer to incorporation as a business strategy, thus achieving limited liability for the business owners. (You can sue my corporation, but not me personally in normal circumstances.)

But, I don't know about such things. Is there an attorney on the forum?

----------------Harry Pristis

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Gee, and all this time the only thing I thought that came from the 'County' was potatoes[8D] For those from 'away' Maine natives just normally refer to the area where Presque Isle is located, (Aroostook County) as The County. Harry I think if you check with Sam-Maine Bottles, he may have some info regarding the Presque Isle bottle.

ladyp3797

Reaction score
Harry, you are right about the LTD and INC, regaurding corporation status.

There are Lots N' Lots N' Lots of french names all over Maine, but especially up in the county and down the Eastern coast.

LP

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Hi Harry

Clovis Morneault bottled soda in Presque Isle, ME from 1918 thru 1939. I've seen his name only on the style of bottle you have and they come in both clear and the emerlad green shade. They show up on eBay once in a while and go for approx. $5 to $8. Florida, it certainly was far from home!

Later - Sam

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hey Sam, good to see you on the forum again, I knew I was directing people to THE SOURCE [8|]when it comes to Maine sodas and medicines! I sent someone else your way last night regarding a soda bottle from up north as well.[;)]

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses.

I am pleased with the info on the Morneault bottle; thank you, Sam.

---------Harry Pristis

ladyp3797

Reaction score
Hi Harry,

Just wanted to let you know, I spent a couple hours looking into Presque Isle history to find something on the Maine bottle last night. I didn't have a problem finding the name Clovis Morneault in the Presque Isle geneology pages, but no luck on tracking a company history with that name. I tried city records to, but no luck. Sorry.

Lady P

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi