Historical Flask Collection in its infancy!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
Thanx cookie. Seeing that they are getting positive feedback makes it more reassuring when ordering. Unfortunately with my present circumstances my historical flask collection is on hold. Swizzle

swizzle

Reaction score
Thanx, Right now I only have 3 that qualify as historical in my mind anyways and 1 of those might be a clevenger repro. So I got a long ways to go. Swizzle

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Hi Jason! Athough your flask is in fact pattern molded it is a mid-Twentieth century reproduction of earlier wares. I have seen these flasks in several colors and though they are often catalogued as "Clevenger" I am not certain that they were the maker. It is the flask's overly round, chunky form and unusual color that are the first indications that it is not a 19th century piece. The aspiring collector would be wise to familiarize themsleves not only with what's "right" but also have a good knowledge of what reproductions are on the market and this flask is a great place for folks to start with in making mental notes. I have seen enough of these particular flasks over the years so that I immediately know it to be a reproduction. And, now that you have had the experience of owning and learning about the piece yourself, you will never have to wonder about one of these flasks again. Not a bad bit of education for three bucks, especially since flasks of this type (marked as reproductions) will often sell for ten bucks or more:) If you would like to see some examples of 18th and 19th century pattern moled flasks you can click on the following link:

http://www.jeffnholantiquebottles.com/webpages/ChapterFour.html

I hope that this info is of some help Jason. Handle every flask you can in the future (period and reproduction) to familarize yourself with the colors, forms, manufacturing techniques and textures of old and new flasks, both figured and pattern molded. In no time at all you will be able to distinguish between period objects and reproductions.

swizzle

Reaction score
Thanx for the info. It'll be helpful now and in the future. Although it is a beautiful and old looking flask, I thank I'll be selling it soon. At least I can put the money towards a better quality flask. Swizzle

swizzle

Reaction score

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac