Historical Flask Collection in its infancy!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
I need a few pointers from you historical flask junkies. I'm starting a collection of historical flask which I'm hoping will eventually exceed 150+ bottles and flask. I'm hoping to collect flask that tell a story. I just don't want to start collecting a ton of scroll flask and pictoral bottles without knowing the story behind them. It doesn't have to be much just basic info. I'm eventually hoping to have a backyard museum. So far I have a very nice eagle flask (thanx to capsoda). I'm also wondering about my clyde glassworks flask. Is that considered historical? Does it have an history? Where is a good place to start my collection? I'm not rich by any means and I hope to buy, sell and trade up. Any help or reasonable offers for historical flask would be great. I can't promise that I'll buy every thing that is offered but I'll do my best. Thanx in advance guys. Swizzle

earlyglass

Reaction score
Hey Swizzle,

My suggestion would be to do some research first. Buy "American Bottles & Flasks and Their Ancestry" by Helen McKearin and Ken Wilson. Learn the different groups... eagles, sunbursts. railroads, etc., find out which molds were blown at glasshouses within your area, then chart a course for your collection! Set realistic expectations! BUT ALWAYS BUY THE BEST THAT YOU CAN! without eating into your budget. Historical flasks have wonderful cross-over appeal to antique collectors, and the best flasks are, and will, always be in demand. Some wonderful flasks were blown at the glasshouses that you are digging... it would be cool to acquire perfect examples of the shards that you have dug.

All of that being said.... I have roughly 50 flasks that I don't need in my collection. When you are ready, feel free to let me know what you are looking for and I might have it or be able to get it. Chances of getting flasks at a yard sale or antique shop anymore are slim to none. They are quickly disappearing. Private sales and specialty auction houses are basically the only way to get the good ones. Good Luck, and feel free to ask any questions!

Mike

GuntherHess

Reaction score
One approach is to start by collecting flasks that are easily identifiable as to thier glass houses (either embossed on sides, maker marks on bottom , or of unique attributable styles). That way you start getting a feel for who made the flasks even when it is not obvious and you will be able to spot fakes ans repros.

trussin

Reaction score
Hey Swiz, Flasks can be fun. I have a few since I collect old south jersey stuff. Watch out for fakes. JB in NJ

swizzle

Reaction score
Thanx guy's. I really appreciate that link to a specific dealer that know's there flask. I've seen several flask that I wasn't sure about and wanted to bid on but without knowing its kinda nerve racking. I've emailed several people about their flask and once in a while you get someone who doesn't reply. I asked one guy to see a pic of the base of a "puce" (to good to be true) flask and he only gave a vague discription. To me it looked like a Museum of Modern Art's repro but he wasn't giving any info at all. He would only say that it has the makers marks on the flask but would say who the maker was or where the makers mark was located. It'll be a long time before I get a decent collection going but I'm trying. Would any of you consider a english bockbuteul (sp?) or a clyde's glass works flask of any historical value or a historical flask? Swizzle

swizzle

Reaction score
Thanx for the link Jeff. I'll check it out as soon as I post this. Swizzle

cookie

Reaction score
Swizzle-Jeff and Holly are good people to deal with -very knowledgeable and friendly-good luck on your collection. John

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi