Black/Purple Wing Fung Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

purple puzzle

Reaction score
I'm looking for information on this bottle that I found while cleaning out my basement. It looks black, but when held up in the sunlight, it is a beautiful deep purple. The bottle has a raised inscription on the side that reads: Federal Law forbids sale or re-use of this bottle. The bottom is inscribed as well: Wing Fung Hong Hong Kong There is chinese writing in the middle. If any one can help, I'd appreciate it. I also have a picture of the bottom if that helps, but I can only post 1 photo per message. Thanks!!

Bz79275.jpg

Attachments

• Bz79275.jpg
    Bz79275.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 140

diginit

Reaction score
Howdy purple, "Federal Law Prohibits" was embossed on bottles from 1933 to 1967. I'm suprized to see it on that type bottle. I am assuming it was made for import to North America from China. Do you think it might be a reproduction? That's just the first thing I think of when I hear "China" even though the Chinese made porcelain 1000 yrs. before europe and England. Can anyone add anything to this guesstimate?By the way,you can post another pic as a reply to this post.

woody

Reaction score
The one listed on eBay is pottery, whereas the one listed above is of amethyst glass.
It looks to be the same company, though.

IRISH

Reaction score
I've seen lot's of tiger whiskey bottles but never a glass one before, there are heaps of stone one's here from the 1850's-60's bought here by the Chinese Gold miners.

purple puzzle

Reaction score
Hi, Diginit! Thanks for the info. I'm enclosing the picture of the bottom, but it is difficult to see the writing. My bottle does not say "China" like the tiger whiskey bottle example. It says "Hong Kong". If you are aware of any other links or sources that may help me find info on the bottle, I would appreciate it!

Mk26548.jpg

Attachments

• Mk26548.jpg
    Mk26548.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 122

wingsofjoy

Reaction score
Hi Purple Puzzle, I think I can help shed a little light on the bottle. I grew up in Thailand, and have one of those bottles myself, and others in my family have some. They came with a drink in them for pregnant women, to use when they start labor so they'll have an easier labor. It's a very common item for pregnant women in Thailand, both Chinese and Thail. My mother feels like it was some sort of fermented drink to maybe help take the edge off the pain.

We got ours during our years in Thailand between 1960 and 1980.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey wings,

Thanks for that, and welcome to this place. Old Purple Puzzle has not been here since 2004.

The "Federal Law forbids..." language would indicate that it was indeed spirits, whether wine or whiskey. I putting my money on Ng Ka Pay.

mintiger.jpg

wingsofjoy

Reaction score
Thanks Surfaceone, and I'm glad to find out more about my bottle. :)

Emeric

Reaction score
For information, I have a full Wing Fung Hong bottle here :
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Wing-Fung-Hong-Chinese-bottle-Alcool-chinois-debut-XXe-/140910679929?pt=FR_JG_Art_Objets_XXeme&hash=item20ceee5779

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac