Naval Boarding Weapons

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cc6pack

Reaction score
Saw these a few years ago on ebbbb, who in their right mind would carry gun powder in such a fragile container is ludicrous.

What are you reporting the violation under?

capsoda

Reaction score
What makes it a weapon. You fill it with powder, nails and such. Seal it with all kinds of stuff. Tie a rope around the neck of a very very thick bottle that needed additional strenght at the already super thick neck and throw it on the other ship and.......and........and.......what is it suposed to do. Just havin a little fun.

An obvious fake and doesn't remotely resemble any boarding grenade i have ever seen. Maybe ebay will do something if enough of us complain.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Here's the info I found about an eBay security center complaint:

1. First, copy the auction number (you'll paste it later)
2. Go to bottom of page where item is posted and click on SECURITY CENTER.
3. At the next screen, select REPORT ANOTHER PROBLEM
4. At the next screen, select BUYING AND FINDING
5. At the next screen, select PROBLEM WITH SELLER, and in the window below it,
select THE PROBLEM YOU'RE HAVING ISN'T LISTED
6. On the next screen, click on EMAIL US.
7. On the next screen, paste the auction number in the appropriate box, and write your complaint in
the lower box. Do not use quotation marks or parenthesis as they are invalid characters.

Be sure to use the word "FRAUD" freely. It's one that gets ebay's attention. Also, request a personal response and not a canned response.

Folks may (or may not) want to be cautious about questioning the seller - he is a VERY angry man who has made any number of threats to my health/well-being this afternoon. It's understandable though, in that he has sold many thousands of dollars of these "rare" weapons in the past several months and he'd love to keep 'em moving. Sadly, other folks are now looking at his auctions and using them as "proof" that their twenty and thirty year old bottles are actually (gasp) NAVAL BOARDING WEAPONS. Whoopeeeeeeee!!!!!

bikegoon

Reaction score
Open pontil, no wear on the bottom, no wear at all. I would think a shipwreck bottle would have more "patina" to it.[&:]

Nope, I dont think she is real.

Looks like they tried to make it like a chesnut flask, kinda..

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hi Jeff and all -
Yes, any true collector of glass surely knows these are modern Mexican pieces. This seller (I've been watching, of course) has made mega bucks on these so far and seems to have PLENTY of them... an endless supply. I can't believe what some of these have been going for and I'm not sure why people want them. I hope he can live with himself after selling and fooling the buyers.

Another note of interest: I have a small magazine write-up somewhere and I'm not sure how true it is, but... It states that demijohns were used in the Civil War as mines, to sink naval vessels. As a 'part time' [:)] demi collector I found this interesting. Any thoughts on this all?

cc6pack

Reaction score
Meech

When Farragut uttered his famous words, Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead, he was referring to what we call mines today. I find it difficult to understand how you would fuse a dimijohm. I have collected CW Artillery shells for over 30 years and have never heard of any demijohn used in the manner you quoted.[/align]

cookie

Reaction score
Hi- After all I've read on this I know I'm better off spending my money on that fruit jar for $50,000.

bttlmark

Reaction score
sirmark is a rip. I wonder why this is still listed and not removed? Maybe eBay likes their fees more than honesty.

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
I have been watching sirmarkw sell these things for some time, with the very first one I saw listed I knew it was junk, and was amazed by the sale price. The seller has had 3 and 4 auctions of these bottle running at the same time.
I have noticed in the last listing I looked at how he was telling the bidders to ignore the rumblings from the unknowing in the glass hobby.
Man, can he ever dish it out, a yard deep and a mile wide, piled high and deep..........

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp