Framed a potlid...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals...

I found this in November and had it framed in a shadow box. My wife and I have three kids (teens now[&o]) two boys and a girl, so I had this framed and gave it to my wife for Christmas...[:)]

Any ideas as to origin... time period... value... would be much appreciated...[;)]

Thanks,
Wayne

28945A84B09B466A9A8F3009E16962CF.jpg

Attachments

• 28945A84B09B466A9A8F3009E16962CF.jpg
    28945A84B09B466A9A8F3009E16962CF.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 104

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Obi-Wan-Capsoda...

I am but a simple man... I understand numbers... years... dates.... not those big words you throw around in your elite, egotesticle world...[&o]

Do you know what it came from, where it came from, when it came, what the value might be, who last owned it, what it was used for, where it was manufactured, how much it was sold for, ...???????????

You are all knowing... all telling ... and all consuming... all existing... [:-]

I am but a humble, old fat and "stinky" diver..[&:] Perhaps you could share some of your vast knowledge with me

How about an Ultra Light???[;)]

Wayne

capsoda

Reaction score
Do you know what it came from, where it came from, when it came, what the value might be, who last owned it, what it was used for, where it was manufactured, how much it was sold for, ...???????????

Do you know what it came from {Piles Cream Or Face Balm},where it came from {England}, when it came {1870 to 1890}, what the value might be [ A Dollar Twothirtyeight}, who last owned it { Some Lady Named Ellena Jane Fezziwigg}, what it was used for { To Cover Piles Cream Or Face Balm}, where it was manufactured Upper Hayford, how much it was sold for { One Quid, thirty}, ...???????????

Hows that.[sm=lol.gif]

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
You're Killin me Cap... You're Killin me ...[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

Now, really, what was it used for???[:-] I guess the professional frame job I had done was worth more than the pot lid!!![:mad:] Well Pam really loved it though. It reminded her of the kids and brought a smile to her face, so it was worth every penny to me...[;)]

Wayne

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Wayne, Probably some kind of makeup, powder or lip coloring. If it is small say 1" to 2", lip coloring. Any bigger makeup or powder.

Those can get pretty pricy too. Any writing on the bottom?

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Cap...

No writing on the bottom but the lid is about 4 1/2 inches in diameter, so I guess it was some kind of face powder or something? I don't really know, cause I haven't found but one pot lid... I guess I've passed them over in the past and didn't pay too much attention to them. [&o]

This one struck my fancy and Pam really loved it so... I guess I'll be paying more attention to the pot lids underwater from now on...[;)]

Wayne

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Wayne, email Trog of this forum. He's one of our friends from down under. He seems to know a lot about pot lids and he is very interested in any American lids so I bet he can give you some good information even if you don't want to sell it. Kelley

crackpot

Reaction score
Hi, this pot lid has been produced via an electrical process. These neoclassical designs were quite prevalent in the 1850's then again in the late Victoian up to the Art deco period.
In the earlier period the designs were made by the Staffordshire potters like Pratts at Fenton, Ridgeways and Mayer using a process involving engraved copper or steel plates.
Am however certain your pot lid is made in probably Austria/Germany and would date to the late Victorian period. The transfer is on the surface and commonly called an overglaze pot lid by collectors. The picture was applied much like a decal, then fired. This process is still used today.
Value is anyones guess but I would have thought about $20-40.
I wrote an article years ago that may be of some interest http://www.go-star.com/antiquing/potlids.htm

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey crackpot...

Thank you so very much for your input... I really don't know much about the pot lids...[&o] But I know it struck a chord with my wife, so I had it framed. Let me tell you, the framing cost nearly ten times what the piece was worth, but to see the look in my honey's eyes...[X(] it was well worth it.

Anyway, I digress... thank you for your response and hope to see more of you on the forum...[:)]

Wayne[&:]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum