Nice web site for CT Class Museum

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Alan...

There must be some dynomite places to dive in Conn!!!My buddies and I have found some nice stuff down there. We always look forward to traveling to the Conn River to dive. When I'm on the recovery from the shoulder surgery, I might just go down there and hang out in a couple of libraries and map rooms to do some research.[8|]

Maybe we can hook up. Nobody always gets everything off the bottom, so there is always something for everyone to find. I know the rivers up here keep turning over new stuff every year... I'm sure it's the same in your neck of the woods.[:-]

You always talk about doing your bottle diving in Eastport. Don't you dive in other places? Rivers, canals, ponds, streams, lakes, cisterns, dams, wells, bathtubs, pools...[sm=rolleyes.gif] And what are you using for an U/W digital camera these days? I want to start documenting the underwater aspect of the bottle hunting, so I will be interested in getting a new camera this year.[;)]

Wayne

adshepard

Reaction score
Wayne -

In thirteen years I have never dove in my home state! Hard to believe, but true. Mostly because the underwater subjects for my underwater photography are much more plentiful to the north off Gloucester, MA or even better off Eastport, ME.

I only took up the bottle hunting hobby in the last two years. Previous to that all my diving was done in the hunt for photographs. I use a couple of Nikonos V's with macro extension tubes for the most part although from time to time I shoot with close-up lenses or wide angle. I've been published and have won or placed in a few national underwater photography contests.

I haven't met many divers that dive the Connecticut River. It's got to be loaded with stuff as should a few of the other large rivers down this way. You are correct that underwater there are always things to find. Just the other day an older diver that had dove Eastport some thirty years ago and who had just returned from there said there was nothing left like there used to be. I took issue with that statement as there is never a dive that I don't come up with something up there. Just this year I pulled up two dozen clay pipes and even more bottles.

Alan

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
adshepard...

Hey Alan... You should get into the fresh water rivers, ponds, lakes, streams... lots of stuff to be found. The old guy up in Eastport apparently doesn't dig. In some places underwater, you have to drive your hands into the mud as far as you can reach.... then you can still find some stuff!!! Can't be squeamish when your diving for bottles..[;)]

Wayne[&:]

mikmis

Reaction score
hey alan, that is a great site ive been collecting and digging for about 30 years and im a little ashamed to say ive never been into the history of the glass manufactures much. ive always been more into it for the beauty of the the glsss, the colors , the bubbles ,the fact that somthing so fragile could survive all these years and that each one was handmade .i read through that sit and it made me realise there is so much more to it .i think im going to start to try to learn more about how and when my bottles were made . thanks alan

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora