Crown tops VS Hutch bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

baltbottles

Reaction score
Hi Frank,

I think the reason why Hutch's lingered after the crown top was widely available was because many smaller bottling company's couldn't afford to buy the newer filling and capping machine required plus the investment in all new bottles would have been expensive. There is a Hutch from Washington DC dated 1914 and I know there are many places that used blob beers up until about 1915 There is even a machine made blob beer from Baltimore. And the Crown cap was invented here and widely used by the mid 1890s.

Chris

capsoda

Reaction score
Hutches were used by Hygiea Coca Cola in Pensacola, Fl until 1924. That is the year the last batch of hutch soda water bottles was ordered.

whosyerdaddy

Reaction score
baltbottles hit the nail rite on the head. there wasn't really any kind of cutoff period tween hutchies and crowns. the little guy bottling out of his shed just didn't have the investment capital to switch. then again alot of those small bottlers went the way of the small milks, they got bought up by the big boys.

whosyer

hemihampton

Reaction score
If my memmory is correct a guy named Painter invented the cap/crown top in 1892. But it did not seem to go into wide spread use until the early 1900's? LEON.

BARQS19

Reaction score
WOW I haven't been on here in a long time. This is in reply to your Barq's hutches. You have three styles. A Biloxi Artesian Bottling Works, E.Barq Prop., a Then a Barq's Bottling Works Gulfport, Miss. Then you have the third and more rarer hutch that says Biloxi Artesian Bottling Works E. Barq Biloxi, Mississippi. The first Biloxi is worth $150, the second goes for maybe around $200, they use to go for around $350 but I'll get to that. The third one, that says Mississippi is worth maybe around $500, I paid $400 for mine and it's the nicest we've seen so far. A lot of the others are damaged. Only a few are known. So depending on which ones you had you did good selling them for $500 unless it was the rare one. Since the hurricane A LOT OF BARQ'S HUTCHES HAVE TURNED UP. I've been running ads in the Sun Herald for about a year after the hurricane and EVERYONE found a hutch. One guy had 10, another guy had around 20. Now, personally, I wouldn't give $50 for one since so many's been found but then again the market hasn't been flooded yet. Since it's a local item, people tend to hang onto it.
BARQS19

buzzkutt033

Reaction score
i only have two crown tops in my collection .......... here's one

B2CD050C1E334C1D929A8265F1063E8C.jpg

Attachments

• B2CD050C1E334C1D929A8265F1063E8C.jpg
    B2CD050C1E334C1D929A8265F1063E8C.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 82

idigjars

Reaction score
Hi Buzz. Neat pic, is the top of the stopper marked Hires? Thanks for sharing your pic. Paul

glass man

Reaction score
BEfore I knew any thing much about hutches,I sold a near mint quart lime green hutch from PENN YAN, NEW YORK for $30.AS I made the deal ,a person walked by me and whispered he would give me $75.I knew then I had messed up,but sold it to the person the bottle for $30 as agreed on.I thought it was the right thing to do.Last I heard a few years ago the guy that had offered me $75 said the person I sold the bottle to ,was offered an INDIAN QUEEN BITTERS for it and turned the offer down! OH WELL!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac