Crown tops VS Hutch bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

frank

Reaction score
I cant figure why they make hutch bottles in my area when crown tops and blobtops were already around . Is hutch bottles more southern then northern areas. Does anyone from mass have any hutch bottles . Can you post a pic!!![8|]

capsoda

Reaction score
Hutches were first marketed in the mid 1880s and crown top bottles around the early 1890s. The crown cork cap for crown top bottles were in vented three years after the bottle.

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Here's a pic of a Hutch I have from Mass - it's from the American Bottling Co. of Springfield.

21F5CBB2A6C649B4984ECB9CF6917EAC.jpg

Attachments

• 21F5CBB2A6C649B4984ECB9CF6917EAC.jpg
    21F5CBB2A6C649B4984ECB9CF6917EAC.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 109

frank

Reaction score
RE: Hey Sam on the Hutch bottles

What size is the hutch bottle ?The one i found is small hutch are there two size of hutch bottles around!!!! Do they have any value??

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score

Hi Frank -

The American Bottling Co. hutch is 7.0 inches high which seems to be a typical size for hutches here in the Northeast.. All 25 known hutches from Maine are 6-7.5 inches high and usually 6-8 oz. in capacity. There are some hutches from other parts of the country that come in quart size. Value can range from $25 to $250+ for Maine hutches, I'd guess Mass prices would be similar.

Later - Sam

WMassPete

Reaction score

Hutches were generally for soda - I think that sort of stopper could withstand a higher pressure than a blob-top type closure - but not sure - soda has a higher pressure than beer (it took nearly 20 years longer to sucessfully can soda than to can beer) - blobs were usually beer - but sometimes have other things in them - (not counting all those goofy Citrate bottles - which have every sort of closure imaginable) - Ive got a few hutches from Mass...I never thought they were worth more than similar blobs ...maybe I should start buying em more.....but yah..I dont think Ive dug a whole one.....funny.....

#1twin

Reaction score
Frank, I had two Barq's hutches, 1 from Biloxi and 1 from Gulfport Ms. The man that wanted them, took $500 off my bill, after removing tree's downed from the Hurricane. He was later offered $800-$900 for the two at a show. He has promised to sell them back to me for the $500 if he no longer wants them. Just so happens that might be this afternoon when we do some trading.[:)]
Some hutches go for less than $10 and some bring good money. Hope this sheds some light on your question.
Thanks, Marvin

tombstone

Reaction score
There are over 15,000 varieties of hutch bottle, so unless there is a great demand for a particular variety (such as the coke) they are pretty reasonably priced. This will probably change once the project to catalog them has been completed. (see http://www.seattlehistorycompany.com/HBDHutchBook.html for more details)

After a comprehensive guide is published more and more collectors become interested and this is reflected in the price.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado