Finally!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Yall,

Pitfinder and I finally had a decent day! Found one of the Officers Quarters pits. Nothing overwhelming, but after the last few times out, this day was like finding a goldmine. [:D] The beauty is we didn't get it all dug and we get to go back tomorrow! Happy Diggin, Kelley

Ay75917.jpg

Attachments

• Ay75917.jpg
    Ay75917.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 94

old digger

Reaction score
Gonsmoke, what a great dig, what is the piece at bottom that looks like a plate hanger for flowers? Another crazy question for you, we are in battle area and I hear lots of stories of others digging pits and finding lots of human bones, do you? As diggers, do we keep digging, replace bones later or stop right away? I'd really like to know what bottle diggers do!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hi Old digger, welcome to the forum![;)] I'm not sure what that wall hanger held. I thought at first it might hold a candle, but then I thought it would be pretty stupid to have an open flame that close to the wall. I bet you are spot on about the flowers. The holder is in the shape of a pail and it has a wreath design all the way around the outside edge of the plate part. As for digging human remains, I never have. Lots of bones.... but not human. If the situation ever does arise, I personally would stop the dig immediately and notify the authorities. In my case it would be the U.S. military. Happy Diggin, Kelley

Sq48457.jpg

Attachments

• Sq48457.jpg
    Sq48457.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 87

woody

Reaction score
It looks like a match safe. It is used to hold matches.
Nice digging, Kelley.
It's always fun to find something.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Thanks Woody. That would make sense. I hope we find a bunch more today! Happy Diggin, Kelley

old digger

Reaction score
Thanks for the closeup Gunsmoke, really nice whatever it turns out to be! I'm like you I'd stop but most here don't. Guess I'd notify the Civil War center here first, maybe they would know what to do. Seems we had lots of field hospitals here in my area, several areas off limits for diggers, one within walking distance. Wish you luck today!

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Kelley, I thought it was a match safe also. Very neat find! Have you checked for faint markings on the back? Sometimes they appear with a touch of moisture. Are you finding these while digging bottle targets or combined with a detector? Either way, nice work!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Meech, no markings on it anywhere that I can see. The way we are finding these pits are with metel detectors. We have a good working knowledge of the layout of this fort. If we find an area with shards and a higher concentration of metal, we start digging test holes. This system has worked fairly well for us overall, although the last few weeks have been pretty slim pickens. Unfortunately, a lot of the metal artifacts are charred pretty bad. You think I would become an overnight millionaire if I could perfect a glass detector?[:D] Happy Diggin, Kelley

Maine woods Digger 2

Reaction score
HEY, Gunsmoke what a great dig, I wish i could find that with a whole week of digging.I suppose It pays to go 2 or 3 times with out finding anything and hit the right spot and just find good finds, well im glad you had a good day digging kelly, Peace out girl scoute

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp