Thomas Williams Potlid

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Oldwares

Reaction score
I was wondering if I may be able to find out some more information about an Australian Pot lid I have recently acquired.

It is a small rectangular white lid with black writing.It states on the lid 'Thom Williams, Pharmist and Dentist, Summer Hill Sydney.' The product is called 'Myrrhine Toothpaste'.For the teeth,purifying the breath,elegant preparation for preserving and whitening the teeth.

Does anyone have any information on Thom Williams and any idea of a possible value for the lid.Any information would be greatly appreciated.If needed I will be able to post a picture tomorow.

Regards John.

Carmo

Reaction score
Hi John
Company operated between 1882 to 1927, fairly rare, think one made about $600 at auction some time back.
Carmo

Gidday

Reaction score
Hello Oldwares,

Is this the lid you have?

Vs55454.jpg

Attachments

• Vs55454.jpg
    Vs55454.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 162

Maine Digger

Reaction score
I know this is a case of the proverbial "Grass is Greener on the other side of the fence", but I wish we could find these types of lids here in New England! I have found some shards of them now and then, but that's it. The lids I do find are those for clay/pottery containers; some very crude others nicely glazed.

Gidday

Reaction score
Norm,

The US has atleast as many lids as down under with easily 300+. I believe here in New England the larger cities are the key. Especially more developed areas in the 1860 - 1900. Kind of differnt circumstances here with the more severe winters and not all rubbish was burryed. In Australia and NZ post 1870 most refuse ended up in large regional tips hence the potential better change of realizing a find. Pre 1870 iT was toilet holes and rubbish pits similar to here. I have only started digging in the US so I stand to be corrected by those more experienced finding lids here.

Oldwares

Reaction score
Thanks to all responses so far.
Hello Gidday.Yes that is the extact Potlid that I have.

Gidday

Reaction score
Your lid is referenced in "Keil" on page 211. More information on the chemist avaliable if your interested. Listed as less than 5 know at publishing in 1981. Nice purchase[:)]

More pot lid reference books here http://www.deantiques.com/PLG/pot_lid_books.htm

Oldwares

Reaction score
Thanks Gidday for that information.It was very helpful. :) I would appriciate it if you could put up more info about the chemist.Perhaps if you have that book by "Keil" would you be able to scan the page about the potlid.

Gidday

Reaction score
Sorry, with respect to Robert Keil this materail is copyright. Maybe purchase the book or visit a local library.... If you are truley interested in lids this item should be your first investment[8|] Although dated these references will still save / make you $1000s. Whats that old adage "Knowledge is power"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown