Unknown artifact?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

California Dream N

Reaction score
I agree that Mike is going to be the authority on this... but I want to guess. Since it is so heavy.. I think a boat, canoe anchor or one heavy fish net weight?? Okay caldigr2 what is it really?? LOL

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Canoe anchor. They are found in waterways where abos set up their nets to catch migratory fish, and had to remain stationary while doing so. On the West Coast they are found in the river systems of CA, OR, and WA. Boat anchors are nothing new, they've just developed over the centuries.

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Norene...

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts on this. I too, thought it might have been something nautical... canoe anchor weight... fishing net weight... I have no clue. That's why I threw it up on to the forum. I bring back anything unusual that I find underwater... never know when you might hit the "jackpot" [:eek:]

Thanks for lookin,

Wayne

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Caldigr2...

Hi Mike. I must have been posting to Norene when you were sending your reply. Thanks for the info. It seems logical that a round, smooth stone would be preferrable to something with sharp edges, jagged so it would not damage the thin hull of the canoe? Have you ever seen any like this or do you know where I could find any other photos of something similar? How would an age/time frame be established for something like this?[8|]

I know... lots of questions and not enough time... I just think back on all the things I must have passed over because they were not "glass"... I have been so totally focussed on bottles. I am definitely taking more time to examine other things underwater. I recently found a handfull of coins in an area I have been working and one turned out to be a large cent from Massachusettes, dated 1787... it was pretty chewed up, but still, it was so thrilling to hold something that was in existance when our country was in its' infancy... George Washington was still alive... and no one had touched that coin for over two hundred years!!!! can you imagine???[&:] it sent goosebumps up & down my spine...[:eek:]

This hobby is so terrific... it winds and turns down all kinds of pathways. I never know what I'm going to turn up next.[:)] Thanks for your input, I sure appreciate your thoughts on this.

Wayne

epgorge

Reaction score
I thought it was a cave man's attachment for a dremel.
Ep

JustGlass

Reaction score
My guess would be a net sinker although maybe to large at that. I would say its to large for a banner stone. Could possibly be a anchor, but could a 15 lb. stone hold a canoe on the Conn. river? I m sure its man made and not a freak of mother nature thing because the hole is drilled just like the holes you see in a indian pendant. I would say its probably historic or prehistoric. And until I was shown different I always lean towards prehistoric when the artifact is made of stone. By the way Ive looked a few cornfields along the Conn. river some in NH. and some in Vt. and Ive yet to find a artifact. The books say they are there but its a hit and miss thing and Ive missed. Maybe the indians threw all the good stuff in the river. Nice find!

Digger George

Reaction score
WOW Wayne I've never seen a Native American artifact like that! We really can only speculate. I would say an anchor but the amount of work that went into that anchor is ridiculous! It is definately an ancient artifact. I would take it to a local Native museum and see what they say. They may want it but it's yours and they can't have it. Keep diving that area of the river!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown