Nothing worth collecting after 1950

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BigJock

Reaction score
Glass bottles from 1950s to date were all machine made and have no character and all look same just labels are different

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I dont know if that's supposed to be a serious post but its not really true.
There are actually a lot of machine made bottles that have value.
Jim Beam bottles were actually very collectible at one time. There are many newer perfumes that are valuable. Many people collect modern reproduction bottles.
The transition to machine made bottles was around 1910 , not 1950.
Many early 20th century machine made bottles are valuable including ACL milks, sodas, and Whitehouse vinegar bottles. Do I need to go on?
Read posts on the forum and learn.[;)]

epgorge

Reaction score
God!!!! You hit on a main issue/nerve. Who knows what tomorrow may bring. They may even be collecting plastic when they dig up our dumps. I ma presently atempting to document and pictorialize pharmaceutical and certain "named" store bottles from the 1900's, in Vermont. Wow, what an undertaking! Some of these, while being made by machine, are quite unique. Of course, the labels are equally, important.
Ep

digdug

Reaction score
Here is an ACL NDNR-Mountain Dew Party Jug-sold for over $3000 a few years ago! I think collecting bottles is like anything else-all a matter of preference. As long as you enjoy collecting a particular type..that is all that matters!

2BE0F245DB504DA6AE246873C4DCC10D.jpg

Attachments

• 2BE0F245DB504DA6AE246873C4DCC10D.jpg
    2BE0F245DB504DA6AE246873C4DCC10D.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 86

madman

Reaction score
now that is sweet!!!!!!! wow mike

epgorge

Reaction score
Ooohhhh, Bottleboy kicked it up a notch.

I have find there is solice in debate by understanding Ad hominem vs ad argumentum. They are latin terms. Look them up.

Ep

Jim

Reaction score
It is true that many later, machine-made bottles are junkers....But the same can be said for the hundreds of unembossed plain pre-1900 clear medicine and food bottles that I have a hard time giving away as well!

Every era of bottles has good ones, really good ones, and not-so-good ones. I get frustrated in 30s dumps by all of the junkers we find, but one nice $100 milk bottle from the same era can make it worthwhile. My favorite bottle series didn't come about until well after 1900 (patented in 1914), and some of them have sold for close to $5000 for one bottle. There are also some killer bottles (like the Mountain Dew Party Jug) that are much later than that.

A good summary would be that it's all in what the individual collector likes. I have given away some of my "junkers", and the recipients looked at me like I just gave them a thousand bucks [:)]. Collect what you like, and you never know what good bottles you might find, be it 1850s or 1960s! ~Jim

treasurekidd

Reaction score
We all collect bottles for one reason or another - the love of history, the bottles local, the type of bottle, etc, etc. While one may prefer Hutch bottles, another ACL milks, or pontiled medicines, the value of these bottles, in sheer monetary terms, is only what one is willing to pay for them. For instance, I collect any antique or vintage bottle from RI or nearby MA and CT. When buying, I personally don't like to spend a lot for a bottle. Call me a "bargain hunter", lol. However, my wife's late grandfather was the founder of a dairy company here in RI, and on the rare occasion when I see one of their milks listed on eBay, even though they don't have much monetary value, I'll pay almost any price for it, because of the sentimental value that these bottles have to my wife and her family. What is a "junker" to you may be worth a lot to someone who may have a connection to, or preference for, that particular bottle. The true value is in the eye of the beholder.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi